Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards that will approve with high utilization showing

tag
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Cards that will approve with high utilization showing

My wife has 5 cards that are all pretty high ,90%+ utilization, her overall is around 60% with many store scores at 0 balance. Her scores are high 600s with clean reports across the board. 

I know its not ideal but are there any cards which will approve her with that high of utilization? Not looking for any small limit cards, need 5k+.  I thought about doing a lendingclub personal loan but her income is really low so that wont work. 

I know I could balance transfer those cards to my cards but I am trying to avoid that for now if possible. 

Just looking for some other ideas. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards that will approve with high utilization showing

With all of the cards kind of maxed out, I'm not sure there would be one that would not only approve but give a higher limit also. YMMV though. It is possible it can happen.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't waste any more inquiries trying to get a Signature card while she has high util and low income. If she does get approved, her SL will be much lower than 5k with her current profile.

Does she have any 5k card reporting? 

As an alternative don't do the BT to your cards, instead, add her as an AU to 2-3 of your ZERO balance cards to help lower her util %. Do the calucations first and decide which cards to add her. Her scores should jump once the reports update, then app. You can always go back at a later date and remove her as an AU from your cards. 

Good luck.

Message 3 of 37
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Cards that will approve you with high utilization are cards that aren't worth having or apping for.. And expecting a $5k SL is off the table I'd be willing to bet.
Message 4 of 37
Klesko
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't waste any more inquiries trying to get a Signature card while she has high util and low income. If she does get approved, her SL will be much lower than 5k with her current profile.

Does she have any 5k card reporting? 

As an alternative don't do the BT to your cards, instead, add her as an AU to 2-3 of your ZERO balance cards to help lower her util %. Do the calucations first and decide which cards to add her. Her scores should jump once the reports update, then app. You can always go back at a later date and remove her as an AU from your cards. 

Good luck.

That was my feeling pretty much but wanted to see if there was some cards I wasnt thinking about. 

I am going to add her as a AU on some of my older 0 balance cards which will lower her overall utilization but any single card over 90% is going to prevent her from getting new decent cards. 

Right now her big cards are CapOne Venture 18.5k and Discover 13k. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 5 of 37
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

If she has those 2 (venture, Discover) at 90% ($28,350) and a low income I don't think she would be able to get a 5k+ card without income inflating.. But who knows.
Message 6 of 37
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

I'm alittle confused on why your trying to reduce her uti, by getting another card, you even said you were thinking about taking a personal loan out. Why is it important to reduce your uti by doing these actions, Instead of just paying off the debt. I mean her score will shoot up once the debt is greatly reduce. I'm not trying to be being mean or anything just sincerely intrigued, as to why your trying to add lines of credit, when your already at 90% uti.

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 7 of 37
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Any thoughts on what percent I need to get these cards under to allow for new approvals? I know the best would be 30% but if I could not do that then what percent would be acceptable you think?
Message 8 of 37
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think you need to stop thinking that new cards are the solution here. With that high of utilization, no major bank is likely to approve a new card, much less with a 5k+ limit. If you're already in that much debt, no bank is going to say "sure, here's a 5k limit that you can max out". I'm not saying that to be rude, just providing the banks perspective.

I would just focus on getting the utilization way down before applying for anything else. Under 30% is the generally suggested maximum but lower is better. It can never hurt to have it be lower when applying for things.

Message 9 of 37
Klesko
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I think you need to stop thinking that new cards are the solution here. With that high of utilization, no major bank is likely to approve a new card, much less with a 5k+ limit. If you're already in that much debt, no bank is going to say "sure, here's a 5k limit that you can max out". I'm not saying that to be rude, just providing the banks perspective.

I would just focus on getting the utilization way down before applying for anything else. Under 30% is the generally suggested maximum but lower is better. It can never hurt to have it be lower when applying for things.

All the current cards are in 0% balance transfer. They are all coming off the 0% within 3-5 months. I am just looking to roll it over into another 0% if possible. I could roll it over to my cards which are almost empty which is what I will most likley end up doing. 

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.