Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash advance credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cash advance credit card

@kdm31091 wrote:
I get wanting a slim wallet but seriously, one debit card isn't going to make much of a difference. If we are willing to carry many credit cards for max rewards on every purchase, certainly carrying one debit card in lieu of risky and costly cash advances is worth it.

If I say that a card is going to make a difference, then it is. Why would I bother posting it if it did not bother me...? 

FYI, I only carry 2 cards. (and one of the is a general spend, which is why I was wondering if I could replace it with a cash advance card with rewards)

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To everyone in the thread about:

1) Carrying cash: I don't like carrying large amounts on me. I have a super slim wallet that I bought for the express purpose of keeping it super slim.

2) Debit card: read 1) 

Slip a $100 in there, it's thinner than a card, lol.

You also have pockets to put cash in.

The places where I go to do not accept $100 bills. It's a personal thing....you can't just give a blanket statement like that.

I do not want to have to remember bringing cash whenever  I leave -- which is usually when I wake up. I just want to be able to pick up everything (3 things - keys, wallet, phone) and leave.

Once again, this is my personal preference.

Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks pizza and jfriend for actually trying to help.

/endthread since its going off topic and I already got my answer on the 2nd post.

Message 33 of 44
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
I carry a debit card for a secondary checking account that only contains the amount of cash that I want access to. That mitigates the risk of carrying a debit card.

Same here and that account is also used to link it with PayPal as I do not trust them  Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 44
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I get wanting a slim wallet but seriously, one debit card isn't going to make much of a difference. If we are willing to carry many credit cards for max rewards on every purchase, certainly carrying one debit card in lieu of risky and costly cash advances is worth it.

+1 

..or  just replace 1  CC with the debit card  ..or  a 100$ bill is even less bulk Smiley Happy  lol

Message 35 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

Why don't you buy like a mini vault and put your extra CC's and $$$ in it. Go to the bank and withdraw, like for example $1-2k, and put in the vault at home, then when you need some just take it out.

You avoid having to add a debit card to your "slim" wallet, and you have access to $$ 24/7

Not saying this is a bad idea but then the money would still be sitting at home, which is the same thing as leaving the debit card at home, so what's the difference? Am I missing something?

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that Walmart cards (store and MC) allow (and even encourage) cash back.  They make it sound like that has the same grace period as purchases, but honestly, I've never looked deeply enough into it to know if that's true (and obviously, it only works at Walmart)

I just read through the "Ask a CC Employee Anything" thread, and I encourage you to do the same.  I always knew that cash advances were a bad idea, just due to the fees and immediately interest, but there's a lot of information in that thread about so many other reasons NOT to EVER take a cash advance.  It puts you on their radar and opens you up to AA (CLDs, closed cards, etc)

Agreed, Ozman. Cash advances are definitely a bad idea and put you on the risk radar of CC companies.

The cash over feature of the Walmart card is different. It's not a cash advance. It allows you to get cash over at the time of purchase in a Walmart store, with no cash advance fees and APR at your regular card APR.

Zero interest is charged if you pay the cash over back before your next statement cuts.

My current cash over limit is $1,200 on my card with a $10,000 credit limit, so once your overall card limit is high, the cash over amount climbs as well. I would never use that amount of cash over and have probably used it for $20 or $40 once or twice, paying it right back, but it's a nice feature to have.

Message 37 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Carry cash.

I've had the same $175+- in my wallet for about two months, lol.  It's funny how we have become a cashless society.

Who wants to waste time stopping at an ATM machine.

I hear ya...you'd have a hard time in my area evening finding a place that doesn't accept credit card.   Heck, even the vending machines in the hospital I work accepts credit cards and NFC/Apple Pay.  I do carry my debit just in case...and you're right...looking for an ATM would drive me nuts.  I've had the same cash in my wallet for quite some time.  Just don't ever find myself needing it.

No need to stop at an ATM machine - get $20 cash back from the grocery store on your debit card. I just don't see the problem with carrying a debit card.

A credit card should never be used as a source of ready cash - unless, as the prior poster stated, you don't care about that card and are willing to have the issuer close it because they deem you a credit risk.

Additionally, the thread doesn't make much sense - you dont want to carry cash, but if you do a cash advance, you will have to carry cash for at least a short period of time. Odd.

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I do is use an American Express Bluebird card that only has as much loaded as I'm comfortable losing to fraud, pickpocket, etc.  I don't care that the bank says I'm not responsible for fraudulent purchases made on my debit card...it takes them forever and a day to investigate, meanwhile I'm out that money.  No monthly fees...no minimum balance...and ATM-accessible.

tl;dr: I hate cash and checking-account-linked debit cards.

Message 39 of 44
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Carrying cash: I don't like carrying large amounts on me. I have a super slim wallet that I bought for the express purpose of keeping it super slim. 

This point is irrelevant if you're thinking of using a credit card to get cash.  You're still carrying cash either way.  Avoid relying on credit cards for cash.  Cash advances can be red flags.  Find a better tool for the job or use Discover or Walmart if you still insist on using a credit card and if the limitations suit your requirements.

@redpat wrote:

Who wants to waste time stopping at an ATM machine.

Who has need for a machine that vends ATM's? Smiley Very Happy

RAS syndrome strikes again.

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.