Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom card owner i have question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom card owner i have question

Have you guys ever use Chase Freedom card to pay down any store card or balance? If so does you earn point or cash back by doing this?  I have a KAY jewelers store card that I would like to pay down maybe paid off by using my chase freedom, just curious by doing so will earn point or cash back?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom card owner i have question

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you guys ever use Chase Freedom card to pay down any store card or balance? If so does you earn point or cash back by doing this?  I have a KAY jewelers store card that I would like to pay down maybe paid off by using my chase freedom, just curious by doing so will earn point or cash back?

Balance transfers generally never earn points (for any issuer)

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No doing a balance transer, just going to use my Chase CC to paid off my KAY store card.  By doing this I wanted to know if this will earn point and recieved cash back.

Message 3 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And how would you use the CC to pay of the other card?

Message 4 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're paying down the Kay account with a balance transfer, it's doubtful you'll earn any rewards.  (I'm not speaking in definites since I don't have a Chase card, however this is generally universal across all issuers.)

However, if you're able to pay on the Kay account by making a 'charge' on the Chase card then it should be treated like any other purchase.  I don't remember if it was you or not (forgive me if it was you) but somebody a few days back mentioned it was possible to pay on a Kay store account by using a credit card, i.e. Kay would accept the actual card for payment.  If this is the case, you should be golden as far as earning rewards goes.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

KAY Jewelers allow customer to pay down/off balance with ANY credit card.  Just visit your local store and pay it.  I already went to my local KAY store and asked, its allow to pay it down/off with any credit card.

Message 6 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're paying down the Kay account with a balance transfer, it's doubtful you'll earn any rewards.  (I'm not speaking in definites since I don't have a Chase card, however this is generally universal across all issuers.)

However, if you're able to pay on the Kay account by making a 'charge' on the Chase card then it should be treated like any other purchase.  I don't remember if it was you or not (forgive me if it was you) but somebody a few days back mentioned it was possible to pay on a Kay store account by using a credit card, i.e. Kay would accept the actual card for payment.  If this is the case, you should be golden as far as earning rewards goes.

Oh, OK, if that's possible then I agree, it will just be a normal point earning purchase.   

Message 7 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No doing a balance transer, just going to use my Chase CC to paid off my KAY store card.  By doing this I wanted to know if this will earn point and recieved cash back.

Yes, this is a balance transfer Smiley Wink

No, you won't earn any points for it Smiley Sad

Yes, you will save interest expense in the long run Smiley Very Happy

The value of the interest you will save will be many many times the value of any points you could hope to gain from having this be a regular transaction (smiley overjoyed)

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO this is not a BT since I am not doing a BT on this, it would be a regular charge with my Chase Freedom.  All I need to know is about the reward and cash back.

Message 9 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NO this is not a BT since I am not doing a BT on this, it would be a regular charge with my Chase Freedom.  All I need to know is about the reward and cash back.

You have really answered your own question.   Assuming that the store is correct, all you are doing is going into Kayes and making a purchase for $X.   Chase doesn't know that this is paying off an account or buying a necklace/ring etc.   So it will get the rewards for that MCC, presumbaly 1%

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.