Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Chase To Drop Price Protection & Return Protection Across ALL Cards

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase To Drop Price Protection & Return Protection Across ALL Cards

Wow appears all CC's are doing away with the majority of these benefits..  Sad that premium cards such as the CSR will be getting rid of this Smiley Sad.  Still need to read article.

edit:  looks like the premium CSR is saved from this nerf in benefits. Wonder about the Ritz etc..

Message 2 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

The CSR is keeping some of the travel insurance but not price protection it seems. Going to have to see what they do with the travel protection, since for me that could have an impact on the value of this card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can understand basic CC's getting rid of those perks, but the ones with $100-500 AF?

I personally have never need to use the price protection, nor the product replacement. The travel insurence is nice though, and seems logical on Travel cards.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am guessing the reason is the most people who use price protection abuse it.   I don't use it but Travel Protection is a good benefit.  You can save a bit of money booking non-refundable hotels.  

Message 5 of 11
j615
Regular Contributor

This sucks. They could've broadened the list of excluded items or lowered the benefit dollar amount covered.

My heaviest used card is a Chase card, and I do use the price protection benefit. Never abused it, always played by the rules. I did notice my most recent claim was a pain. The benefit center had to mail me an attestation form to sign, and the claim was super slow to get reviewed and approved. It used to be snappy, quick, and painless.

Message 6 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have never used price protection, return protection, extended warranty, baggage delay insurance, trip delay insurance, trip cancellation/interruption insurance, travel accident insurance or car rental insurance on any of my cards that have offered those benefits, so I'm not bothered by some the benefits going away.  For me, the value of a card is in its ability to earn points, miles, or cash back and the ability to redeem in an easy fashion.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never used these protections either. I bet people were abusing them and can see how that can quickly start affecting the bottom line.
Message 8 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Chase is making record profits, IMO to cut these benes is just pure greed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/business/dealbook/bank-quarterly-earnings.html

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new American way!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.