Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi APR Reduction Spree

tag
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

Citi APR Reduction Spree

I was approved for the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard last week with an APR of 23.24%, which is entirely too high, despite the fact that I won't hold a balance on it (it's the principle). So when I recieved the card earlier this week I did a little digging in the forums and noticed Citi is pretty liberal with their APR reductions, so decided to ask for an APR reduction through their live chat online. 

The first time I asked it was reduced to 2% to 21.24%, which was nice, but still not good enough. I waited 24 hours and asked again, getting another 2% reduction. Since I was on a roll, I gave it another 24 hours and asked again, getting a 1% reduction bringing it down to 18.24%. 

The minimum APR for the card is 17.24% but when I asked the last time (this time I only waited about half a day) they said I'd hit the mininmum for the card. I'll give it a week and ask again. 

That's a 5% APR reduction in three days. Within 10 days of opening the card. I think it's safe to say it's a good time to ask Citi for an APR reduction.

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi APR Reduction Spree

@MrCollector wrote:

I was approved for the Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard last week with an APR of 23.24%, which is entirely too high, despite the fact that I won't hold a balance on it (it's the principle). So when I recieved the card earlier this week I did a little digging in the forums and noticed Citi is pretty liberal with their APR reductions, so decided to ask for an APR reduction through their live chat online. 

The first time I asked it was reduced to 2% to 21.24%, which was nice, but still not good enough. I waited 24 hours and asked again, getting another 2% reduction. Since I was on a roll, I gave it another 24 hours and asked again, getting a 1% reduction bringing it down to 18.24%. 

The minimum APR for the card is 17.24% but when I asked the last time (this time I only waited about half a day) they said I'd hit the mininmum for the card. I'll give it a week and ask again. 

That's a 5% APR reduction in three days. Within 10 days of opening the card. I think it's safe to say it's a good time to ask Citi for an APR reduction.

Now you have me thinking it is time to hit up old Citi Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done, Mr. Collector! I too see a phone call to Citibank in the near future. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Citi ThankYou Premier card and the APR was 23.99% (prime + 19.74%, it was 22.99% when the account opened and the prime rate was 3.25%). I actually went for an online chat last month and they reduced it to 20.99% (prime 4.25% + 16.74%).

After seeing your thread I did another chat online, they were able to reduce it to 17.49% (prime 4.50% + 12.99%). So this card got 3% and then another 3.75% reduction in these couple months.

Message 4 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on the improvement. It takes the card out of nosebleed territory Smiley Happy

I have frequently received 12-month Reduced APR on Purchases for my several Citi cards. What is weird is, at the same time 12 or 15 months ago, I got offers for three cards, two offering 1.99%, one at 5.99%. The Diamond Preferred is on a 1.99% Purchase offer until August 2018, which would be nice if there were rewards to encourage me to spend on it. Smiley Happy

It may be worth a call to a CSR to see if you have any temporary APR offers. I don't know if this results in such an offer, but they have sent me many over the years, so it is a Thing.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 22
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

This morning I asked Citi again for an APR reduction and got another 2% drop.

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 6 of 22
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Outstanding work, MrCollector.

A question - does anyone know where/whether one can find a card's APR on the Citi website?   I can see it on my statement, but if it's on the website, it surely is well hidden.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 7 of 22
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

A question - does anyone know where/whether one can find a card's APR on the Citi website?   I can see it on my statement, but if it's on the website, it surely is well hidden.

When you login, click the Limits, Payments and Rates button below the Make a Payment option.

Message 8 of 22
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@MrCollector wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

When you login, click the Limits, Payments and Rates button below the Make a Payment option.

Ahhhh.  Hidden in plain sight.  Smiley Embarassed

Thanks kindly.

I'm at 12.24.  Given that I recently got them to convert my Forward to a DC (rather than a TYP), and I acquired 4 new accounts last month (3 of which are now reporting), I'm inclined not to poke the bear for a while.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a Citi DC for going on 4 years. My FICO at time of application was around 730. The card was still new then and Citi was VERY stingy with CLs. My original limit was like 2k or something ridiculous like that.

Over the years theyve granted CLIs on the 6 month schedule like clock work. I ask once a month to have my interest rate of 25% reduced. They refuse and tell me I have no rate reduction offers currently.

I have an 815 FICO now, as reported by them, and have never missed a payment. I've also never carried a balance. This used to be my primary everyday spend card until I got the Fidelity card (lowest tier interest rate).

The card is now locked and SD. Between the high interest and a fraud issue last year that they tried to stick me with I'm kinda done with them. The only way I'll unlock the card and start using it again is if they drop the interest rate.

I don't expect they ever will, but I ask anyway. Not really much to miss if it ends up closed for no activity.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.