cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi DC CLI -better to use or to SD?

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Citi DC CLI -better to use or to SD?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

In my experience, Citi hasn't really been one of those banks that has required a lot of usage or activity to grant SP CLIs. I was regularly getting them on all of my Citi cards every six months until I hit my internal limit with them last year. I would have to agree with the assertion that credit history and income are the biggest determinants for CLIs.

But anyway, I am actually going to suggest your third option, 'neither.' You've made it very apparent in prior discussions that the Citi DC hasn't lived up to your expectations, and I really think you should just close the card at this point. Personally, I wouldn't keep any cards around that cause the kind of disappointment and frustration you have evidently experienced with the DC. That's just my view.

Well I guess I must have overstated my 'frustration' Smiley Happy I don't care that much whether it's a good card or not. I have lots of other cards.

I just think the DC is overrated. I'm more 'frustrated' with people saying it's such a great card, when IMHO it really isn't.

My question wasn't whether to close it or not. My question was which behavior pattern would be more likely to get me a CLI. Advising me to close it doesn't answer that question.

Hi SouthJamaica

I would suggest (if you haven't tried yet) just work with it the best you can. It may be a bit overrated but for some not so much. I always like to use the strategy of putting spend on it (even at low limit) and either PIF or roll it a cycle or two? Some are hard core transactors and that's great if it works for you. My practice is to mix n match. Some months i revolve on my Citi DC Card while other months PIF before next statement. It just all depends but regardless i would highly avoid closing it unless you're gonna long term SD it and it offers nothing useful at all for you.

Now onto the CLI request scenario. I discovered something unusual completely by accident. My previous Citi card (CDP) always got the SP CLI like clockwork with little usage. Once PC'd to the Citi DC at 6 months another SP CLI came thru from the online request page, HOWEVER back in August when another 6 months had elapsed, that same form returned a denial not once but twice in the same (usually) eligibile month. I didn't give up and i fully expected a third consecutive denial having already been refused twice that month. Well, to my surprise. On the third try with the online request form THE SP CLI DID finally come thru.

I would suggest you retry that SP CLI Request page more than a couple of times (in that 6th month) (or after) if nothing is coming thru and your profile is still good and FICO numbers regularly stable. As long as the SP request is there you're still good for another try IMHO.

It was the first time ever that it took 3 tries for me until it finally came thru. I usually try once and then move on.

Message 11 of 27
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

In my experience, Citi hasn't really been one of those banks that has required a lot of usage or activity to grant SP CLIs. 

I can confirm this statement for my profile. My Double Cash got  very light usage and I have done 2 SP CLIs with very light usage (less than 5%)  Small amounts every month.

Message 12 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Sharingan has a point. You seem very unhappy with the DC for many reasons you've mentioned before. Perhaps just move on and close it?

I don't mind having it, and I will like it more when the credit limit is more substantial. I was just asking which behavior is more likely to attract favorable CLI attention.

The problem is that your question doesn't have a concrete answer. People use their cards plenty and get denied for CLIs. Others barely use it and get constant CLIs. CLIs are based on many factors, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on usage.  I understand what you are asking, I just think that people's experiences are going to be so varied that not sure there's really a great answer.

Like I said originally, if the limit is the only real frustration, and you can spare a HP, I'd think about going that route. Then you can ask for what you want and it will be over with if approved, as opposed to waiting and trying to "display the right behavior". Besides, SP CLIs tend to be modest, so you won't often get the large jump that you sound like you are after.  Think about sacrificing a HP and asking for a big limit if that's what you really want.

Message 13 of 27
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I think the best strategy would be to boost your credit score right before requesting the CLI.   I doubt your usage or lack  there of is going to encourage CITI to give out a CLI.   Heavier usage might encourage them to give larger CLIs.  But CITI SP CLI's are rarely very big.

For a data point, I was approved for a DC last July.  I used the card very lightly.  Last month $4.  I didn't use it every month. After 6 months,  they bumped me from $5,900 to $7,500.   I think my EQ-08 BE score was 857.

Message 14 of 27
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

I think the best strategy would be to boost your credit score right before requesting the CLI.   I doubt your usage or lack  there of is going to encourage CITI to give out a CLI.   Heavier usage might encourage them to give larger CLIs.  But CITI SP CLI's are rarely very big.

For a data point, I was approved for a DC last July.  I used the card very lightly.  Last month $4.  I didn't use it every month. After 6 months,  they bumped me from $5,900 to $7,500.   I think my EQ-08 BE score was 857.

+1

Message 15 of 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

In my experience, Citi hasn't really been one of those banks that has required a lot of usage or activity to grant SP CLIs. I was regularly getting them on all of my Citi cards every six months until I hit my internal limit with them last year. I would have to agree with the assertion that credit history and income are the biggest determinants for CLIs.

But anyway, I am actually going to suggest your third option, 'neither.' You've made it very apparent in prior discussions that the Citi DC hasn't lived up to your expectations, and I really think you should just close the card at this point. Personally, I wouldn't keep any cards around that cause the kind of disappointment and frustration you have evidently experienced with the DC. That's just my view.

Well I guess I must have overstated my 'frustration' Smiley Happy I don't care that much whether it's a good card or not. I have lots of other cards.

I just think the DC is overrated. I'm more 'frustrated' with people saying it's such a great card, when IMHO it really isn't.

My question wasn't whether to close it or not. My question was which behavior pattern would be more likely to get me a CLI. Advising me to close it doesn't answer that question.

As others have mentioned, there is really no cut-dry formula to gauge what would yield the best results for your specific scenario.  You would have to experiment and determine what's going to work best given your spending and lifestyle with the card.  A lot is based on your internal history with Citi, SP data, scores, income, DTI, etc.

Additionally, overrated is subjective.  By the same token someone could also opine and say Venture is overrated or X card is as well.  Some folks use the DC exclusively for non-cat spending and works great, so those results cannot be ignored given the current cashback landscape.  If you decide to SD the card, then you're really not going to see much in the sense of growth.

By the same token, I can assume you're not putting any moderate spend on the card (given previous gripes about it)?  Honestly, though, at the end of the day, we all have choices and have to decide what's best.  Whether you decide to use it more, SD or close it would be your decision.

ETA: if you don't want to wait for SP CLI eligibility, the HP route is also an alternative.

Message 16 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

If you had read between the lines of my first paragraph, you would have noticed that I not only attempted to answer what question you presented, but also hinted at what matters more to Citi in determining whether or not to give you a CLI. In fact, my first sentence was also substantiated by another member's own experience. Admittedly, my second paragraph was more so a suggestion to address whatever grievances and subsequent diatribes you frequently post about having the Citi DC. 

Also, if you are 'frustrated' by others posting an opinion inconsistent with your own, well... this is a forum! Members frequently have differing viewpoints in forums. In my honest opinion, the Ring "isn't such a great card." I expect there to be people who disagree with me. I'd be so bored if there weren't. 

Message 17 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I've had the Citi Double Cash card for a year a half, and have never been able lto get a CLI, or even a soft pull CLI request offer. What's the best strategy? Putting it in my sock drawer, using it a lot, neither?

I've got a couple of auto CLIs with citi (and other lenders) recently with different citi cards without trying. For the citi cards basically every month I was using up around 30%-50% of the available balance and then PIF. After 5-6 months of that they started giving me CLIs. I'm not carrying the balances but use the cards each month and pay by statement due date. With my premier card I paid off the balance to zero finally and after a month not using the card they gave me a CLI. Keep in mind this stuff probably only works if you have a decent looking credit report overall though. Think my overall util is about 5% each month across all cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Obviously no one can tell you a guarantee method here, but I think that a SD card is probably less likely to get a CLI. Just my opinion. But on the other hand, usage alone doesn't guarantee anything.

If you really want an increase after this long with no luck, I suggest considering sucking it up and doing a HP CLI. A SP one is usually not a large jump anyway. With a HP you can ask for what you want and be done (hopefully), as opposed to waiting forever for the computer to grant a small SP one.

+1

Solid advice.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

+1

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.