cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comenity PC from store card to Mastercard/Visa?

tag
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Comenity PC from store card to Mastercard/Visa?

I apologize if this has been addressed on another thread, but I couldn't find anything. Does Comenity ever upgrade their store cards? More specifically, I'm interested in the Ulta and Meijer card Mastercard versions. I have a feeling it's a big fat no since CLIs are hard enough to come by, but I'd sure like to hear if anyone out there has been able to do it and what the cirumstances were. Thanks!

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16
Oct/Nov 2016: EQ 632 TU 532 EX 573
Feb 2017: EQ 695 TU 673 EX 670
March 2017 EQ 702 TU 676 EX 673
April 2017 EX 683 (TU & EQ unknown)
May 2017 EQ 695 TU 685 EX 693
Feb 2018 EQ 704 TU 687 EX 694

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Comenity PC from store card to Mastercard/Visa?

I have heard that Comenity does do upgrades, but I think it depends on the merchant.  I am sure someone will chime in about one of these two.  I hope you get the upgrade on the Meijer card, but even if you don't just remember that Meijers has almost everything.  I heard that at their pharmacy you can even now preorder organ transplants and in states with a medical card you will soon be able to buy special plants from their garden dept.  just joking, but that Meijer card goes a long way if you use and pay it off or pay larger than the minimum.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any data points as to whether the Overstock store card PC's to the Overstock MasterCard?

Message 3 of 10
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

No, it can't. 2 different issuers, FNBO issues the MC version
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 10
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

So, I decided to call both Ulta and Meijer and see what they told me. Ulta will "transition"  (CSRs word) the store card to a MC with a hard pull on EQ, rolling/adding the old limit into the new MC limit and keeping that account open date the same.

Meijer makes you close out your store card, wait 30 days, then apply for the MC. The Meijer card is truly only good for a few tanks of gas at 10 cents off a gallon between the low limit, lack of any significant CLIs and inability to upgrade. Irritating!!!

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16

9/24/20: 4 years from discharge FICO 8: EQ 751 EX 765 TU 766 FICO 9 EQ 814 EX 804 TU 821
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
No, it can't. 2 different issuers, FNBO issues the MC version

Oh right, I'd forgotten that.

Message 6 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@kberly69 wrote:

So, I decided to call both Ulta and Meijer and see what they told me. Ulta will "transition"  (CSRs word) the store card to a MC with a hard pull on EQ, rolling/adding the old limit into the new MC limit and keeping that account open date the same.

Meijer makes you close out your store card, wait 30 days, then apply for the MC. The Meijer card is truly only good for a few tanks of gas at 10 cents off a gallon between the low limit, lack of any significant CLIs and inability to upgrade. Irritating!!!

Well that bites.  You never know what the future will hold though.  I never thought I would get a Target MC upgrade and yet low and behold there it was.

I thought the Meijer card would grow, but the only person I know with one is my sister and I hate talking credit with her.  (3 times bankrupt....)

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 10
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

A little update on the Ulta card. I called to clarify that the open date would be the one for the store card if I were to get the MC version. The answer was no- within a month or so of opening a MC, they will consolidate the cards and close the store card. The open date would be the date of the MC, so bummer. And they do not take apps over the phone, it has to be on the website or in the store. 

I do wonder if I called again and spoke with a different rep, would I get another answer? ...

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16

Message 8 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You might get a different answer, but it might not be the right one....

Message 9 of 10
kberly69
Frequent Contributor

Funny you should say that..... I decided to send them a message to see what would be put in writing. They of course have no chat button so they promise they'll email back within 48 hours. After passing the 3 day mark, I sent another message requesting the same info.
I got a response from the first one telling me I needed to call in. My message back had a tone of irritation. I waited 3 days for a non response? Is this secret information?
3 days after message #2 I got a response saying I'd have to close the ulta store card then app for the MC. No "transitioning" or blending credit limits.
I then get a response to my response to message #1. They're so sorry to have caused confusion. I can get this answered by sending my question VIA MAIL and gave me the address. How helpful.
I am keeping the store card.

CH7 BK Discharged 10/16

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.