cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Approval Pot Luck

tag
vomhelligkeit

Credit Card Approval Pot Luck

Maybe someone on the forum with more experience than I can help.  I have worked hard for a few years now to get my credit to where it used to be.  I have recently began applying for cards and have gotten approved; however, I don't understand how I can get an approval for one GEMoney credit card and not another (Carpet One vs JCP), same holds true for an approval with Kohl's (Cap One) and not for Best Buy.  If anyone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card Approval Pot Luck

The game we play is random.

Different companies have different criteria.  

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 2 of 6
martinkk
Contributor

+1.   Also, each time you apply, at least one of your reports takes a hard inquiry and maybe a new trade line. This will usually lower your score, at least temporarily. Then there is your average age of accounts; that can also be lowered which may also cause you to lose a few more points. All of this is factored in, that's usually why many people say to only apply for credit that you need or at least only the cards you will actually use. Good luck. Rebuilding can be frustrating, but the "Reaping the Rewards" stage will last a lot longer than the Rebuilding stage does. ;-)

Message 3 of 6
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 6
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I got a JCPenney card before I could get a Old Navy....wanted a Gap around that sane time as well and couldn't get it. Now I got what I wanted

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 5 of 6
vomhelligkeit

So the key here is patience...How long should I wait before re-applying?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.