Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Line Increase Likelihoods

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Line Increase Likelihoods

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha. Is that technique (applying for a co-branded card, moving the limit, and closing it immediately) frowned upon or adverse to your credit given that it will obviously appear as a closed account? I'm sure the companies know people just do that as a backdoor way to increase CLs, no?

I would not advise opening a card, moving the entire  limit immediately, and closing the card you just opened. I don't think that will set you out on the right foot with the lender, even if you have an established relationship with them. Others may have a different opinion.

Message 11 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha. Is that technique (applying for a co-branded card, moving the limit, and closing it immediately) frowned upon or adverse to your credit given that it will obviously appear as a closed account? I'm sure the companies know people just do that as a backdoor way to increase CLs, no?

I would not advise opening a card, moving the entire  limit immediately, and closing the card you just opened. I don't think that will set you out on the right foot with the lender, even if you have an established relationship with them. Others may have a different opinion.

Chase does this very often and because the account is brand new they don't even send you through lending to do the consolidation like they do for many of us later on.

I know MANY people who have done this with no issues what so ever.

Plus OP wants to put $12k on chases books if they can obtain the CL needed... I think chase would like that!

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase does this very often and because the account is brand new they don't even send you through lending to do the consolidation like they do for many of us later on.

Plus OP wants to put $12k on chases books if they can obtain the CL needed... I think chase would like that!

Which is why it is so curious to me that they would not reconsider over the phone (even though I called one of the backdoor numbers)! Is it more likely that I would be approved for a co-branded card than it is I would be granted a CLI so quickly?

And just a couple points of clarification - do you think it's a bad idea to request CLIs on my other cards (e.g., BofA/Citi)? And do you know whether requesting a CLI with Chase on one of the cards (Slate or Freedom) would allow me to have them use that same HP to request a CLI on the other card?

Thanks again!

Message 13 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is why it is so curious to me that they would not reconsider over the phone (even though I called one of the backdoor numbers)! Is it more likely that I would be approved for a co-branded card than it is I would be granted a CLI so quickly?

And just a couple points of clarification - do you think it's a bad idea to request CLIs on my other cards (e.g., BofA/Citi)? And do you know whether requesting a CLI with Chase on one of the cards (Slate or Freedom) would allow me to have them use that same HP to request a CLI on the other card?

Thanks again!

Chase is pretty well known that it's easier to get a new card than get a cli and since both take hp my as well go for co-branded which grants much higher intial limits to begin with.

2. BofA i think you should go for a cli for sure.

citi if you just got the sp cli then you could possibly get a  cli with hp.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

Chase is pretty well known that it's easier to get a new card than get a cli and since both take hp my as well go for co-branded which grants much higher intial limits to begin with.

Indeed I can attest to Chase's conservativeness with CLIs, as I didn't get one after opening the card at a $900 limit (back in 2008) until just last year. And even then, Chase denied the request and I had to call demanding a recon upon the threat of closing my account (I had a zero balance on my Chase card - and all of my cards - last year). So I'd agree that with Chase at least, the co-branded card may be the best (and only) way to go at the moment.

The BofA I agree that I need to apply for the CLI - is there a difference between doing it online and over the phone?

With the Citi, I also agree that the increase with the SP might make a CLI slightly more likely, but I want to be as frugal as possible with my HPs, and if the odds aren't particularly good (even if somewhat more likely due to the recent SP increase), then I'd probably just hold off and request another SP CLI in six months.

Message 15 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

Indeed I can attest to Chase's conservativeness with CLIs, as I didn't get one after opening the card at a $900 limit (back in 2008) until just last year. And even then, Chase denied the request and I had to call demanding a recon upon the threat of closing my account (I had a zero balance on my Chase card - and all of my cards - last year). So I'd agree that with Chase at least, the co-branded card may be the best (and only) way to go at the moment.

The BofA I agree that I need to apply for the CLI - is there a difference between doing it online and over the phone?

With the Citi, I also agree that the increase with the SP might make a CLI slightly more likely, but I want to be as frugal as possible with my HPs, and if the odds aren't particularly good (even if somewhat more likely due to the recent SP increase), then I'd probably just hold off and request another SP CLI in six months.

BofA, I would do it online and then depending how much the computer gives you it might be worth calling in with an agent and trying to go all the way (request $25k)

Citi - Do you have a BT offer on your card? if you do that might be worth taking the hp and letting it go to review... apply for $25k they will counter.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

BofA, I would do it online and then depending how much the computer gives you it might be worth calling in with an agent and trying to go all the way (request $25k)

Citi - Do you have a BT offer on your card? if you do that might be worth taking the hp and letting it go to review... apply for $25k they will counter.

BofA - Wow a 25k request seems pretty aggressive considering the limit is currently only $1,700 and my highest current limit of any card is $7,300. But if asking for a higher amount doesn't decrese the likelihood of approval, then I supposed I have nothing to lose?

Citi - I'm so glad you mentioned this because I just logged in and buried in my account was a BT offer of 0% until July 2017!! That's huge for me! Now, there is a 5% fee for the transfer, but that would still save me significant money over that period of time. What I could theoretically do now is transfer my current Citi balance to the Slate, then transfer my Freedom and AmEx Blue balance to the Citi (although I would still need another $1,000 added to my Citi limit to transfer the full Freedom and AmEx Blue balances).

Message 17 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks again!

BofA - Wow a 25k request seems pretty aggressive considering the limit is currently only $1,700 and my highest current limit of any card is $7,300. But if asking for a higher amount doesn't decrese the likelihood of approval, then I supposed I have nothing to lose?

Citi - I'm so glad you mentioned this because I just logged in and buried in my account was a BT offer of 0% until July 2017!! That's huge for me! Now, there is a 5% fee for the transfer, but that would still save me significant money over that period of time. What I could theoretically do now is transfer my current Citi balance to the Slate, then transfer my Freedom and AmEx Blue balance to the Citi (although I would still need another $1,000 added to my Citi limit to transfer the full Freedom and AmEx Blue balances).

no requesting higher doesn't do anything and someone always has to be the highest limit you have! the computer won't give it to you but a rep might or come close!

Citi i have seen many times go all the way to $25k on cli request. 5% is killer but if it's cheaper for you then I guess it's a worthwhile cost.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

So how exactly does that strategy work - request the CLI online and then if it's denied or not approved for the requested amount you call the backdoor number and as for a recon?

Yeah the 5% certainly is a killer, but on $8k of transferred debt, the $400 fee would pale in comparison to the interest I'd pay on that debt until July 2017.

Message 19 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So how exactly does that strategy work - request the CLI online and then if it's denied or not approved for the requested amount you call the backdoor number and as for a recon?

Yeah the 5% certainly is a killer, but on $8k of transferred debt, the $400 fee would pale in comparison to the interest I'd pay on that debt until July 2017.

yes for bofa you can call backdoor and ask that your cli be reconsidered for the full amount.

for citi, you just submit and not much you can do if outcome isn't good.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.