Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit utilization when applying for credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit utilization when applying for credit card

Thinking about applying for a credit card and I was wondering do I pay my balances off before applying my friend told me that having your credit utilization in the 30 to 33 percent range gives you the highest score but that would make my balance around  7000. My balance is currently 3500.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit utilization when applying for credit card

to maximize your chances, would want utilization >10%

Message 2 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Your friend is seriously wrong. Smiley Happy

The lower the better. Not $0, though, strangely enough.

Pay them off before the statements post, or they'll report what you owed at statement time. Then allow time for each one to update to the credit bureaus, or else your old balances will still be displaying.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 18
clocktick
Valued Contributor

The general consensus is LESS than 10%, 9% or lower.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

to maximize your chances, would want utilization >10%

Typo? Best would be <10% (less than 10%).

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 18
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I have a question here. If my monthly payment is due every 13th of the month (CAP ONE), how soon would they update the balance to Credit Bureau?

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol yes my bad, giving bad advice.. you want less than 10 percent but more than 0.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

it will update when the statement hits.  so little trick is to pay all but a few bucks before that date!

Message 8 of 18
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Sorry this sound like a dumb question but how to find out when exactly a particular bank or CCC reports to Crefit Bureau?

Is it few days after your Due Payment Date?

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

all are different, some wont even report monthly.. some skip a month.  its kind of on their time.  I have capital one and them in particular update mine a day or 2 after my statement date of the 12th.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.