Contributor
canadaam

Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

Has anyones used this feature of their Discover card? Not sure if I am understanding this correctly (so please clarify), but Discover will allow you to get cash back at the time of purchase-- like a debit card, but is not treated like a cash advance? The cash amount is tacked on to your purchase price on your statement? No fees or interest apply? Just pay your balance when your statement comes?

Starting Score (Aug 2010): EX637 EQ641 TU 650 (FAKO)
Current Score (Sep 2010): EX664 TU663 EQ677 (FAKO) // TU FICO® 651 EQ FICO® 657
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Discover Cash Over.. anyone use this feature?

canadaam wrote:

Has anyones used this feature of their Discover card? Not sure if I am understanding this correctly (so please clarify), but Discover will allow you to get cash back at the time of purchase-- like a debit card, but is not treated like a cash advance? The cash amount is tacked on to your purchase price on your statement? No fees or interest apply? Just pay your balance when your statement comes?

you are correct, usually this works at grocery stores, allowing you to take $40 I believe. Walmart might allow $60 if I remember correctly.

you can do this on a Walmart card also

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
MarineVietVet

canadaam wrote:

That's exactly how it works. I've only used this feature at Walmart and you can get cash back in increments of $20 up tp $80 at the store I go to.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Regular Contributor
asteroidblues

Does cash over feature qualify for any type of cash back reward?

MarineVietVet

asteroidblues wrote:

Does cash over feature qualify for any type of cash back reward?

I don't believe it does but don't hold me to that. Wait for others to chime in.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Valued Contributor
bunnyrabbit

This is interesting  ...  I've never used this future neither.   Because I taught I have to have banking acct with them to get some cash back.   If it can be count toward to the rewards program, I love to use this future.

• Get some cash back.
  • Use it to pay for the balance.  *Because I do not need/use a lot of cash.
  • No fee.
  • No interest like Cash Advance.
  • 5% Bonus Rewards

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's very tough with small income ~ The Rewards are big little helper to me.
Established Contributor
KingAdrock

I think I'll be trying this today, especially since grocery stores get 5% cash back until friday. So I'll find out for sure see if the cash received is counted toward your rewards balance.

Super Contributor
DI

I used  it maybe 3 times.  I never have to go to the ATM machine again.  My favorite card of all times.  

Super Contributor
DI

KingAdrock wrote:

I think I'll be trying this today, especially since grocery stores get 5% cash back until friday. So I'll find out for sure see if the cash received is counted toward your rewards balance.

Using the cashback feature with purchases doesn't earn rewards on the amount of the cash one received.  You only receive rewards from purchases. 

Valued Contributor
bunnyrabbit

DI wrote:

Using the cashback feature with purchases doesn't earn rewards on the amount of the cash one received.  You only receive rewards from purchases. 

Thanks for the info DI    :smileywink:     

So, it works same as you purchase a gift card or recharge your gift card with your cc.     Ok, I think I will use this cash back future in the emergency cash need situation.    :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks OP for this thread.   :smileywink:    I learned something new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's very tough with small income ~ The Rewards are big little helper to me.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}