Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It -- 2% on groceries through September

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It -- 2% on groceries through September

Logged into Discover today and found a surprise--a new rewards option, asking me to activate 2% cashback at stand-alone grocery stores. It lasts through 9/30/16, and only applies up to $500 in purchases per month. Once activated, there's also a rewards tracker telling you what from the current month fell into this category, which I like--too bad Discover doesn't have that for all their rewards categories!

Anyone else seeing this on their account? It's not the most useful thing in the world for me, but still a nice option to have.

Edit: screencap

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It -- 2% on groceries through September

I don't have it.

Message 2 of 20
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Nothing for me either.  Did notice a couple of BT offers, though.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have it either that's probably to offset the freedom users like myself who's 5% groceries started April 1st since discover doesn't do groceries for 5% this year. I wish I got that email cause after June 30th is use it considering I'm also getting double cashback my first year that would have been great 

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got it on my account as well. I definitely activated it!

Message 5 of 20
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

I'm wondering if "2% Cashback Bonus" refers to a bonus 2% on top of the base? If so that would be amazing when combined with the double cashback. Otherwise even after doubling to 4% it still loses out to my Sallie Mae. That's really neat of Discover to do though and the tracking aspect is fascinating, and should be implemented elsewhere!

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the people who have it are u currently in the after one year we double your cashback phase?

Message 7 of 20
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have it.

Ditto.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barthooper wrote:

I'm wondering if "2% Cashback Bonus" refers to a bonus 2% on top of the base? If so that would be amazing when combined with the double cashback. Otherwise even after doubling to 4% it still loses out to my Sallie Mae. That's really neat of Discover to do though and the tracking aspect is fascinating, and should be implemented elsewhere!

Seems doubtful. They refer to their 5% rotating categories as 5% cashback, not 4% additional. 

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have it either that's probably to offset the freedom users like myself who's 5% groceries started April 1st since discover doesn't do groceries for 5% this year. I wish I got that email cause after June 30th is use it considering I'm also getting double cashback my first year that would have been grI'm 

I'm definitely curious whether their rationale is Freedom-related--though if it is, it's not like 2% can compete with 5%, so that would be odd.

I didn't get an email about it, btw--it only showed up when I went to check my account online, in the same place where you normally activate the 5% category for the quarter.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.