Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover LOVE/Capital One HATE

tag
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

Discover LOVE/Capital One HATE

Tonight I called Capital One to seek a credit line increase. Rejected. I currently have a $3,500 balance on their Capital One Mastercard from a new car purchase I made in February (extended warranty). My APR is 9.9% and it has a $5 monthly 'membership fee'. I asked for this to be removed. REJECTED.

I called Discover to get a credit line increase and a lowering of APR. Currently I am at 19.9%. Discover reduced my APR to 17.49%. I will be taking advantage of a d Discover ZERO % balance transfer of that Capital One $3,500 balance. This will give me 18 months interest free!

My plans will be to mothball my two Capital One credit cards. I can't close the account because I have a 17 year relationship with them. If they close these accounts for non-use, then that will have to be.

I am on a path to get my credit cards APR reduced to a respectable rate. I will not spend a lot of money on APRs over 15%. That is why I used my Capital One card. But no more. I am going after that almighty lowest APR!

How often do you folks call your CC companies to ask for an APR reduction?

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover LOVE/Capital One HATE

Apr reductions/request are based on the lenders guidelines. 

Congrats on your discover apr decrease. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!

I think i've asked twice before...ever.  APRs (IMHO) are not really a problem unless one carries a big balance for months. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CA4Closurewrote:

I never do as I always pay in full every month.  

Message 4 of 11
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@CA4Closurewrote:

Tonight I called Capital One to seek a credit line increase. Rejected. I currently have a $3,500 balance on their Capital One Mastercard from a new car purchase I made in February (extended warranty). My APR is 9.9% and it has a $5 monthly 'membership fee'. I asked for this to be removed. REJECTED.

I've never heard of any Cap1 cards having a monthly membership fee...  Sounds more like a CreditOne type card!

But then, I also have to ask how you got a 9.9% APR on a Cap1 card?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 5 of 11
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@CA4Closurewrote:

I called Discover to get a credit line increase and a lowering of APR. Currently I am at 19.9%. Discover reduced my APR to 17.49%. I will be taking advantage of a d Discover ZERO % balance transfer of that Capital One $3,500 balance. This will give me 18 months interest free!

My plans will be to mothball my two Capital One credit cards. I can't close the account because I have a 17 year relationship with them. If they close these accounts for non-use, then that will have to be.

I am on a path to get my credit cards APR reduced to a respectable rate. I will not spend a lot of money on APRs over 15%. That is why I used my Capital One card. But no more. I am going after that almighty lowest APR!

I don't.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you the APR on any of my cards.  I will say that some of my cards were opened during my rebuild so I'm sure the APR is extremely high.  I don't carry a balance unless it's at 0% so I guess I really don't have a need to know the APR on a card. 

Message 6 of 11
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@Dalmuswrote:

@CA4Closurewrote:

I've never heard of any Cap1 cards having a monthly membership fee...  Sounds more like a CreditOne type card!

ditto

You have been paying a $5/month fee for 17 years?

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the CCC you with, and your history with them, on whether they will or not. But you can call in and ask for an APR reduction. 

It's only a factor if you have to carry balance, and most of them offer 0% APR on BT's for 12 months. So there's that.

CC's really shouldn't be used to carry large Balances anyways, that's what fixed loans are for. 

Message 8 of 11
CA4Closure
Regular Contributor

No, after my foreclosure in January of 2012, Capital One changed my account and added that $5 monthly fee. I was never late on their payments but they said that Foreclosure necessitated the $5 fee. I had no choice but to accept because all my other VISA and Mastercards quickly closed my accounts even though I was current with them. I needed the credit at the time as it was my only credit card not to abandon me. So 12 years was no annual fee and 9.9% interest rate.

@Meanmchine wrote:

@Dalmuswrote:

@CA4Closurewrote:

ditto

You have been paying a $5/month fee for 17 years?

Message 9 of 11
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

I don't carry a balance so I have never call. I do however remember a couple of years agao Chase automatically lowering my rate. They sent a letter explaining why but it was so long ago I don't remember what they said.

Not to jump off topic but have you considered replacing the Capital One card with another card? I was under the impress that if you closed the card but had another card with a similiar credit line, you wouldn't take a huge hit on your score because you payment history would still be reflected and your utilization would be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are paying $60 a year just to have the card.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.