Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Miles Redemption

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover Miles Redemption

@weehoo wrote:

I have been putting heavy spending on this Miles card, should be a nice bonus at the end of 12 months, then i will never use it again because 1.5x is nothing to write home about.

Right, I only intend to use the first year.  So will be interesting to see if close and reapply later will get another year.   If it is still the same deal, my wife can apply once the year is up.

Message 21 of 28
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@weehoo wrote:

I have been putting heavy spending on this Miles card, should be a nice bonus at the end of 12 months, then i will never use it again because 1.5x is nothing to write home about.

Right, I only intend to use the first year.  So will be interesting to see if close and reapply later will get another year.   If it is still the same deal, my wife can apply once the year is up.

USe it for bonus first year, then you just use the in flight wifi credit Smiley Tongue 

Message 22 of 28
northface28
Established Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

It's a weird way to structure a signup bonus but it only takes 3.3k in spend to beat the QS bonus.  Yet another card to add to the list of cards making the QS obsolete.

Stop. Obsolete? They are practically the same card after a year. Its obvious you have an ax to grind with Capital One, but this statement is ridiculous.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 23 of 28
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

It's a weird way to structure a signup bonus but it only takes 3.3k in spend to beat the QS bonus.  Yet another card to add to the list of cards making the QS obsolete.

Stop. Obsolete? They are practically the same card after a year. Its obvious you have an ax to grind with Capital One, but this statement is ridiculous.

Right, so DC and Fidelity AMEX are really the clear winners in MY mind, but yes "obsolete" is hyperbole.  I know there are those who have need to redeem rewards in extremely low increments and those who prefer not to use travel cards when they travel for the no FTF, but in the grand scheme of things it's just yet another step towards mediocrity.

And yes, people's experiences with the company as a whole do factor into this as well.  I would rather give Discover a call over Cap1 ANY DAY for sure.

Message 24 of 28
northface28
Established Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Right, so DC and Fidelity AMEX are really the clear winners in MY mind, but yes "obsolete" is hyperbole.  I know there are those who have need to redeem rewards in extremely low increments and those who prefer not to use travel cards when they travel for the no FTF, but in the grand scheme of things it's just yet another step towards mediocrity.

And yes, people's experiences with the company as a whole do factor into this as well.  I would rather give Discover a call over Cap1 ANY DAY for sure.

Thats, like, your opinion, man.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 25 of 28
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@northface28 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Thats, like, your opinion, man.

Correct.

Message 26 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

Right, for the first year, it's certainly the "best" casback card period.  Afterwards, while comparable to the QS, the latter is still a "better" card given it's wider acceptance and immediate (literally when the charge posts) availability of cashback.

In my view, for small expenditures, I find the QS the ideal card.

Message 27 of 28
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I was still a little suspicious about how easy it was to redeem miles into cash (why have all those complex rules about what constitutes a travel purchase when you can get cash covering ALL transactions?) but, as my statement just closed, I can confirm that it really is like that.    I was able to redeem all my "miles" 1:1 for cash, as a direct depoist into my bank.

So still not clear why the don't make the equivalent of Cap One's purchase eraser general (against any transaction) but it really is an all purpose cash back card

I always wondered if Cap One's purchase eraser, did exactly that and if so, would it also mean that any rewards earned also be erased, after all, if the purchase was erased, then there would be no points to earn on an erased purchase......    I am not saying Cap One would ever do something like this to avoid giving out points on a purchase, just postulating a theory...... 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.