cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it secured card now reports as SECURED.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it secured card now reports as SECURED.

I know this may not matter to some. Just thought I'd give a heads up to people that are unaware. I have had my Discover it secured card for 12 months now with perfect history(12th statement cut on the 18th) prior to this month it reported as CREDIT CARD. This month it was reported as SECURED CARD on all 3 bureau's. So im assuming they have made some changes. Unless they only start reporting as secured if you dont graduate on your 12th month. IDK just thought I'd let people know. I know some people prefered Discover it secured card because it didnt report as secured. O and needless to say I havent graduated yet. Although Its only been 5 days since I've hit the 1 year anniversary so maybe i'll hear something soon.Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it secured card now reports as SECURED.

Accurate reporting is becoming a big thing lately. AmEx backdate died because of it.
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont have any personal experience with secured cards but I'm sure this information will likely be helpful to other members so thank you for sharing Anjallo. Smiley Happy Hope your card graduates soon! Good luck

Message 3 of 29
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I don't mean to derail the thread, but is it a big deal if the card reports as secured? I don't think that would affect your score at all and probably not when you apply for other cards (unless it goes to manual review)?

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 29
OMW2_HighAcheiver
Established Contributor

Mine just added to TU . Shows secured.

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

I don't mean to derail the thread, but is it a big deal if the card reports as secured? I don't think that would affect your score at all and probably not when you apply for other cards (unless it goes to manual review)?

This would only  matter to me if I was in the market for a secured card and did not already have this one. To my knowledge most other banks do not report as such.  

Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

What exactly is, "Most other banks" ?
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Several year ago I had three secured cards from three different banks. My partner at the time had a one with a different bank, plus a credit union.  Not one of them reported as secured.  For further clarification if needed, I preffaced my statement with "To my knowledge"  because my statement was based on my experiance...

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly.  When I had my secured WF Visa it reported as such.  Since graduation the secured language on my reports was gone.

Message 9 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Most secured cards have reported as secured.  Most, not all, and certainly that's been the case from reports on this forum.

The secured tag makes no difference to FICO whatsoever, and I really doubt makes any difference on a manual review either.  Payment history is payment history, whether you've had to hedge the lender's risk simply isn't relevant.

Heck if anything it shows you could come up with a security deposit, and given how many people are living month to month anyway, I'd almost look at it as a good thing from a UW perspective... if you had to work a bit more for your credit, you care about it more.

Wierd never thought of it in those terms before but can't see fault with that line of thinking, interested to hear other's opinions on that theory.

        
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.