Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do looks matter?

tag
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Do looks matter?

...talking about credit cards, of course Smiley Wink

I mean like the actual physical appearance of the card; the design, logo, etc. Am I the only one who actually really cares about what my CC looks like? I won't apply for a card if I don't like the looks of it. I wasn't too crazy about my Cap1 MC so I uploaded my own photo of the "Unconquered" statue outside of our stadium, and it looks sweet! I get compliments all the time. 

I also find myself babying the card so the silver "paint" (for lack of a better word) with my name, card number and all that jazz doesn't get all worn off. Guess I'm OCD. 

What say you? Does the design play a major role? Minor role? None at all, assuming it's not pink with flowers or something? Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Do looks matter?

Well, I did like having the Monet "Water Lilies" print or whatever it was on my AU Discover card, but I actually went AU on it because it was opened in 1989. Smiley Wink Oddly, even though I came off of it, it's still reporting. (Tiptoe, tiptoe.)

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't apply for a card because I liked the design, but I can definitely see NOT applying for one because I disliked it. Unless it was offering killer rewards, and then I'd just grit my teeth and cash in.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

A CC is a tool and nothing more. I don't care what it looks like any more than I care what my hammer looks like.

Just my 2 cents.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 22
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Well, I did like having the Monet "Water Lilies" print or whatever it was on my AU Discover card, but I actually went AU on it because it was opened in 1989. Smiley Wink Oddly, even though I came off of it, it's still reporting. (Tiptoe, tiptoe.)

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't apply for a card because I liked the design, but I can definitely see NOT applying for one because I disliked it. Unless it was offering killer rewards, and then I'd just grit my teeth and cash in.

Yeah I wouldn't say I would apply for a card solely based on how it looks, unless it was amazingly awesome. But it would definitely sway me to apply if it was a decent card AND the design was good. 

Photobucket
Message 4 of 22
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

A CC is a tool and nothing more. I don't care what it looks like any more than I care what my hammer looks like.

Just my 2 cents.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

True! But I'd rather have a cool-looking tool than an ugly one. Smiley Very Happy

Photobucket
Message 5 of 22
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

yeah, i'm kind of OCD about it too. i'll still apply for a card based on its rewards and benefits, but the right design means alot to me. i am most fond of the new chase freedom design. i can't wait till mine arrives in the mail.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 6 of 22
shane82388
Established Contributor

For the most part I dont really care that much but I had noticed one card that went from fairly attractive looking to absolutely awful...like a 5th grader made it in some kiddie paint program on the computer...bad font...hahaha

the Chase Freedom card.

Old Chase Freedom Design

New Chase Freedom Card

Message 7 of 22
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

yeah, i'm kind of OCD about it too. i'll still apply for a card based on its rewards and benefits, but the right design means alot to me. i am most fond of the new chase freedom design. i can't wait till mine arrives in the mail.

+1

Message 8 of 22
shane82388
Established Contributor

hahaha, no offense! Sorry! I think I was typing my post out while you posted yours.

Oh well, i guess thats why we are all entitled to our own opinion and why designs aren't truely whats important when it comes to credit cards...

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't worry too much about design unless it's too hilarious to let anyone see it. Travelocity got my business instead of priceline because of ... you know. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.