Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elan MCP Eligible Streaming Services

tag
okurosetta
Regular Contributor

Elan MCP Eligible Streaming Services

I've had my MCP for a little over a month and put everything that might get 5% on there to test if it would get 5%.

I don't see anywhere that spells out which charge earned what, so if I'm missing something obvious I apologize.

My cable bill (Spectrum) definitely got 5% as my first statement cut with just it on it. My utilities bill (National Grid) also definitely got 5%, was about 2/3 the purchases, so no question if 5% or not.

That leaves streaming, with the following netting the remaining $3.38 in cash back:

• Apple TV - $4.99 - $.25 at 5% -or- $.05 at 1%
  • HBO Max - $14.99 - $.75 at 5% -or- $.15 at 1%
  • Hulu - $12.99 - $.65 at 5% -or- $.13 at 1%
  • Netflix - $17.99 - $.90 at 5% -or- $.18 at 1%
  • YouTube Premium - $17.99 - $.90 at 5% -or- $.18 at 1%
  • YouTube TV - $64.99 - $3.25 at 5% -or- $.65 at 1%

Edit: I found another possible combination, so major edit here. The math shows YouTube TV had to earn 1% (would be over $3.38 otherwise) and that another service or two services around $18 received 1%, thus leaving the following possible combinations:

• Apple TV, HBO Max, Hulu, & Netflix at 5% - YouTube Premium & YouTube TV at 1%
  • Apple TV, HBO Max, Hulu, & YouTube Premium at 5% - Netflix & YouTube TV at 1%
  • HBO Max, Netflix, & YouTube Premium at 5% - Apple TV, Hulu, & YouTube TV at 1%

Does anyone else have any DPs? Or is there some easy way to check this that I'm unaware of?

And if anyone has the US Bank Cash+ instead, do you notice any differences in eligible streaming services?

Future P2
Chopping Block Chopped
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Elan MCP Eligible Streaming Services

If Elan's list is anything like Amex's found here, then by my calculations, all of your subscriptions should qualify. Maybe there is some sort of similar list for Elan?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 10
okurosetta
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

If Elan's list is anything like Amex's found here, then by my calculations, all of your subscriptions should qualify. Maybe there is some sort of similar list for Elan?

There is a small list of sample merchants but it is not meant to be comprehensive. Elan/US Bank (and Cardless) are terrible with defining which streaming services are covered, everyone else seems to be decent.

It also cannot be accurate anymore - basically the math behind my cashback this past statement period shows that everything got 5% back except for YouTube TV plus a service or two services around $18. That could be Netflix or YouTube Premium alone (either are $17.99) or Apple TV + Hulu ($4.99 + $12.99). Elan's list shows they cover Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube, but there has to be one of those three actually earning 1%, based on cashback this statement.

Future P2
Chopping Block Chopped
Message 3 of 10
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I have annual streaming credit on two USBank cards (Connect, Go) and I placed Netflix and YouTube Music monthly on both of them. Both are coding correctly Smiley Happy

I have also HBO Max (got annual promo) and Hulu (monthly promo for a year, ~1$/m). I do not have further streaming while I guess the best cards for such monthly or annual bills are Amex BCP (6%) and USBank Cash+/Elan (TV/Internet/Streaming are as a single category). Anyway, it depends whether USBank Cash+/Elan would code them correctly.

I had YouTube TV service for a few monthes but I cancelled it (very expensive, limited new programs).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 10
SpaethCo
Valued Member

Most of the streaming sevices code under 4899 "Cable and other pay television (previously Cable Services)"

Youtube TV and Youtube Premium code under a bunch of seemingly random things.  I've seen 5968 (Direct Marketing – Continuity/Subscription Merchant) and 7372 (Computer Programming, Integrated Systems Design and Data Processing Services) for Youtube services, maybe some others.  I haven't had Youtube TV for a couple years, but when I had it I think it only coded under MCC 4899 one or two months out of a year of charges.

For the Cash+ card you can confirm the MCC codes by downloading transactions in CSV format and looking at the data in the "Memo" column.  I'm uncertain what transaction data is available for the Elan card issued through other financial institutions.

Message 5 of 10
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Just for your reference, I have all of the below and they all code correctly on both US Bank Cash+ (and my AMEX BCP....for what it's worth)

YouTubeTV, Netflix, HBO Max  (we also have Amz Prime and Paramount+, but my girlfriend pays for those on her account so I don't have any DP's on how they code)

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 6 of 10
okurosetta
Regular Contributor

@SpaethCo wrote:

For the Cash+ card you can confirm the MCC codes by downloading transactions in CSV format and looking at the data in the "Memo" column.  I'm uncertain what transaction data is available for the Elan card issued through other financial institutions.

Thank you, this advice was perfect. Both YouTube TV and YouTube Premium coded 5816 - Digital Goods: Games. Since the math in my first post shows YouTube TV had to have received 1%, that means YouTube Premium must have too.

Just for DP sake, here are the other codes, which all got 5%:

• Apple TV - 5735 - Record Shops
  • HBO Max - 5815 - Digital Goods Media: Books, Movies, Music
  • Hulu, Netflix, & Spectrum - 4899 - Cable and Other Pay Television Services
  • National Gird - 4900 - Electric, Gas, Sanitary, Telephone, or Water Utilities

Future P2
Chopping Block Chopped
Message 7 of 10
Bockrocker
Regular Contributor

Amazon Prime codes as "Direct marketing-continuity subscription merchants" on the Cash+.  If anyone cares.  Also Patreon did not qualify for the 5% under internet/streaming, codes as "Bands, orchestras, misc entertainment".

Message 8 of 10
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Amazon Prime is typically by annual subscription (not a streaming service). Do you refer to Amazon music unlimited service?

You may try Amex BCP, giving 6% on streaming services.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 9 of 10
Bockrocker
Regular Contributor

Taurus mentioned Prime and I had tested it since the subscription includes access to Prime Video.  Just providing some DPs.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.