Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express card help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Express card help

Hi Everyone!

So back in April opened an Express card because I was hungry for an 'approval'. Sure enough, i got approved for $350 and have yet to use the card. I have tried the limit increase function and no luck, I'm assuming due to inactivity. They only report payment "OK" for April, but nothing since then. Would this have an adverse affects on my credit report if I close the account? It is my 'newest' account which is roughly 3 months old. 

I know I know...I shouldn've have opened it if I didn't plan on using it. 

Any suggestions? Any downside to closing this besides losing a measly $350 utilization padding?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

Re: Express card help

Often times with Comenity backed cards, such as Express, it takes a whole 9 months before you get your first CLI. I would keep it, buy some lipgloss or something for $6, and wait it out. Once you get your 1st CLI you can get them about every 2 months and they are SP's. I started at $350 in March 2014 and I'm currently at $1,950. My CLI's went from $200 to $400 per request. You've already taken the HP, so just give it some time. Now if you don't ever see yourself using this card for anything & you don't want the utilization padding, then go ahead and close it.

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MissMoni223 wrote:

Often times with Comenity backed cards, such as Express, it takes a whole 9 months before you get your first CLI. I would keep it, buy some lipgloss or something for $6, and wait it out. Once you get your 1st CLI you can get them about every 2 months and they are SP's. I started at $350 in March 2014 and I'm currently at $1,950. My CLI's went from $200 to $400 per request. You've already taken the HP, so just give it some time. Now if you don't ever see yourself using this card for anything & you don't want the utilization padding, then go ahead and close it.

My friends would probably give me weird looks if I wore lip gloss (I'm a dude). hahaha  Smiley Very Happy

Only reason I've kept it around til now is because I have read people not using it and still getting CLI's. All my other commentiy have gotten love except for this one...but you're right about the HP, it's already there so might as well buy something very cheap and PIF, show some kind of history I guess.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MissMoni223 wrote:

My friends would probably give me weird looks if I wore lip gloss (I'm a dude). hahaha  Smiley Very Happy

Only reason I've kept it around til now is because I have read people not using it and still getting CLI's. All my other commentiy have gotten love except for this one...but you're right about the HP, it's already there so might as well buy something very cheap and PIF, show some kind of history I guess.

Don't worry.  You'll get a cli.  I got my Express card a year ago and received my first cli 6 months later.  I have received three cli's from them since February.  It's been a cli every two months so far.  Started off at $500 and am now at $1600.  My DH loves the Blake jeans.  Those and a pair of shoes is all I have EVER purchased from Express.

Message 4 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@MissMoni223 wrote:

I think that's a good approach.   When I opened VS and Gold Violin, those also took a full 9 months to get the initial CLI.   So if you don't want lip gloss, get some socks.  Or maybe some jeans, if you feel like splurging.    Then you can stick it back in the SD.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

I agree with the others here.  Express is one of those cards that does not give you an increase until around your 6th statement.  Once I started getting them they have not stopped.  I was approved November, 2014 @250.00.  I am now @ 1050.  Although I am always using the card, I love this store and I shop there frequently.  Especially when they have have mark downs and then the random coupons I receive in the mail.  This card is worth it.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.