Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fingerhut CLI (how to report)

tag
jre
Regular Contributor

Fingerhut CLI (how to report)

I signed up with Fingerhut to rebuild 6 months ago. Initially, i got a limit of $300.00. I bought something cheap and paid it off. They bumped it to $600.00 while i still had a balance. Recently, they bumped it to $1100.00. I find their stuff over-priced so I don't really intend to shop for anything, but I would like the new limit to report to help my utilization, which is fairly high on my other trades. Do I have to carry a balance in order for the new credit limit to report?

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Fingerhut CLI (how to report)

Your new limit will be reported when your new statement posts. I never carry a balance. But I do try to purchase something on clearance every month just to keep it active

Message 2 of 12
jre
Regular Contributor

But, if I don't have a balance (or any transactions) am I still going to be getting statements?

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 3 of 12
ptilda
Established Contributor

It should report anyhow. You might want to find something lower price for a gift, but even having a 0.00 balance will show on your report.. until/unless they close it for no use.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 4 of 12
baller4life
Super Contributor

I think Walmart is the only company that won't cut a statement with a zero balance. Fingerhut does. I just choose to purchase something small each month because I have heard of accounts being closed for non activity.

Message 5 of 12
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Fingerhut was one of my first accounts I obtained when I started rebuilding. Started at $400.00, and it's at $2500.00 a little over a year later. The only communication I receive through regular mail is when an automatic payment is set up by me. I have used the account 3 times, only during free shipping events. I only received an email statement alert once when I had a small balance, never when I had a $0.00 balance. They report faithfully every month, balance or not. 

As for making purchases to keep the CL, I rotate all of my accounts to make small purchases throughout the year so I don't have to worry about it. (I worry eough lol)

Message 6 of 12
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

I've had my account since September, and heard about CLI but haven't received one yet, I'm still at the original $200 limit. I've bought a fee things and paid them off or carry a less then $20 balance. They report either way. When did you first see your CLI?
Message 7 of 12
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

@anca21bi wrote:
I've had my account since September, and heard about CLI but haven't received one yet, I'm still at the original $200 limit. I've bought a fee things and paid them off or carry a less then $20 balance. They report either way. When did you first see your CLI?

After every 3 statements, like clockwork. The latest bump from $1400.00 to $2000.00 was early, assuming they thought I would use it for Christas I would think!

Message 8 of 12
baller4life
Super Contributor

Good to know. Looking for my first cli. So I don't have to purchase something every month and they will still report? Somewhere I read you have to have a transaction within the month in order for them to report that month.
Message 9 of 12
fedxboy
Established Contributor

I got the Fingerhut charge in 2010 and didn't use it from 2011 till now and they've never closed it.   I however, did close it recently like last month - an 800 limit. 

It greatly served its purpose!

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.