Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting tired of amex suspending charges

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting tired of amex suspending charges

Call them and complain.  Do you have a revolving account with Am Ex where you have a set limit you can work with?

Maybe see if they can pc that card to an ED or BCE. 

What are the highest limit credit cards on your bureaus?

Message 11 of 25
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear this is happening,,,I am very interested to know why so please keep up posted on outcome,,what is causing it...when you call the number what is their response?

Message 12 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP sorry to hear about this. Others have seen hard limits put on their AMEX charge cards when spend patterns or the credit profile changes. This is often related to a Financial Review.

have you gotten any demands from AMEX to provide them with financial documents like a 4506-T form? If that was asked for and not provided, it could explain the hard limit.

Are you getting regular email communication from AMEX so that requests like this would get through? Is your email correct in AMEX's records?

Definitely call them to find out why your account has the hard limit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charging privileges? Lol
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were to apply for a revolver right now, would there be any reason why your CL would be limited to 2,000? Your spending habits may not have changed significantly, but there's a deeper reason why Amex thinks they can only extend to you 2,000 at a time. 

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very sorry to hear OP, that has to be frustrating.  That said, based on what I have learned the past year+ here, I tend to think there is something in your profile that has them  a bit spooked. 

How many new accounts in the past year?  Are you experiencing rising utilization?  Have you had any lates or any other negative?

I know some lenders are more prone to act than others but I can't help to think there is a good reason they are doing this.  If they supply you a reason that is not reasonable then pack up and take your CC business elsewhere.

Message 16 of 25
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

What a drag. Good Luck

Message 17 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Denny33142 wrote:

I have had the Amex Gold PRG since 2011 and lately they have gotten completely unreliable to the point that it has become a gamble on wether the card will work or be declined at a store.

I charge around $1500-$2500 Per Month on the card, The big issue is that very often Amex will freeze the card after it reaches close to a $2000 balance, The worst part is that evertime this happens amex wants me to pay the full balance on the card to unfreeze it (Not just the current amount due), So basically they want me to pay for charges that are not due until next month.

"The balance on your account referenced above is approaching a level where we may need to temporarily suspend your charging privileges.

To ensure uninterrupted use of your Card, please call us today at 1-800-230-1284 to discuss your account(s). We are available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

The message above has basically been a regular occurance in the last 6 months, On some occasions in the past i have charged $4000+ on the card without any issues, I am not sure what is triggering these suspensions now, My spending pattern has not changed and we always pay the card on time.

Has anytone had this issue before? Frankly if this doesn't stop i will have to start using another card because i am tired of being embarrassed at a store everytime my card gets declined.

Its pretty clear something on your report or in their internal files they don't like about you. wow. 2k and they are doing this. When i do a check spend ability. i can get up to 15k. and i only charge about 300 a month on my green card. wow. this is sad. better not to use charge card if like this.

Message 18 of 25
SEBanker
Valued Member

That is exactly why I dumped AMEX 5 years ago. It's just not worth the hassle. I had been a cardmemeber since 1989. Over the past 10 years and really since they started issuing credit cards in the 90's their risk management system changed to begin setting hard limits on the charge card that they built and billed as a "no limit" card. In fact, it use to be more or less but with new technology and stringent risk practices cardholders can be left in your situation. I still stand by my prediction that the AMEX brand will become part of one of the major banks.....most likely Wells Fargo.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you contacted Amex? Maybe they issued a hard limit on your card.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.