Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going Apping, What Scores To Believe?

tag
daveg38
Established Contributor

Going Apping, What Scores To Believe?

I am really at a loss with all of these various sites that can pull your three reports and give you a score.

I want to go apping and want an accurate summation of my current credit stance.  Equifax, Experian and Transunion tell me individually one score; True Credit Triple Report then shows a different Equifax, Experian and TU; Equifax Triple shows different Eq, Ex and Tu.  Experian - same story.

Who do I believe when I want to pull my own credit to check the veracity of the information?  Are the individual agencies even right? Does a PLUS score mean anything?

Aaack!!  Help me!

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

Re: Going Apping, What Scores To Believe?

Only trust the scores you get here.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 2 of 12
Juan123
Established Contributor

Only trust the scores that specifically say they are FICO scores... you can get your fico scores from equifax also.. but to be 100% sure only buy your products here. any place that says they can get you all 3 scores is probably a sham serving you up a FAKO score since you can no longer purchase EX fico scores.

theres no 1 place you can go that will give you all 3 fico scores.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 3 of 12
Guava
Established Contributor

You should go by scores that have the FICO trademark next to them. I think scores play some part into the creditor's decision but ultimately it depends how your credit profile looks and how lenient the creditor can be. There are people with less than perfect reports and were approved for prime cards, so choose where to app wisely! Good luck apping Smiley Happy

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daveg38 wrote:

I am really at a loss with all of these various sites that can pull your three reports and give you a score.

I want to go apping and want an accurate summation of my current credit stance.  Equifax, Experian and Transunion tell me individually one score; True Credit Triple Report then shows a different Equifax, Experian and TU; Equifax Triple shows different Eq, Ex and Tu.  Experian - same story.

Who do I believe when I want to pull my own credit to check the veracity of the information?  Are the individual agencies even right? Does a PLUS score mean anything?

Aaack!!  Help me!

I wouldn't be so concerned about the scores as much as what's on your report. 

Message 5 of 12
john398
Senior Contributor

@Guava wrote:

You should go by scores that have the FICO trademark next to them. I think scores play some part into the creditor's decision but ultimately it depends how your credit profile looks and how lenient the creditor can be. There are people with less than perfect reports and were approved for prime cards, so choose where to app wisely! Good luck apping Smiley Happy

But dont a lot of creditors use there own model? It seems that GE does

Message 6 of 12
Guava
Established Contributor

Right, John, a lot of them run some internal scoring models. What I was trying to say is that lenders/banks are different from each other, AMEX wouldn't likely to approve you with collection account but Citi or Barclays might, and they look further than the digits representing your credit worthiness.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Message 7 of 12
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

When I said to only trust the scores from here - what I meant was these are really the only scores that can give you a good idea of what the lender will see.  All the other sites could have a wide variance from your actual Fico score.  The lenders may have their own scoring model - but it shouldn't vary too much from the score you see here.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 8 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

all scores are worthless unless it is a FICO score (get them from here). Also keep in mind when you app some lenders use their own in house scoring so it may not match your FICO here.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 12
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Depends on what you are using a score for. If you are only looking at relative changes over time, then any of them that are looked at consistantly can give you that. If, of course, you are actually applying for credit, then the fico is by far, along with a companies other internals, give you a much better lenders point of view.

I use the plus score, even though i am well aware that no lender does, but the changes over time can be illuminating. I really like my equifax fico though since it is at 811 at the moment Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.