Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gold American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gold American Express

Hey, everyone I haven't been on here in a while!!! Well I have been repairing my credit since Macy's CO back in 2004 when I was 19 it has risen steadily since joining this forum.  I came from the low 600's to the lower 700s in one year.  Starting on here I had on Cap One card with a 200 dollar limit and a Macy's with a 100 limit.  I now have a Macy's Visa and store card with a limit over 6,000, a Bank of America, Cap One, Hooters and Junny.  Today I get a offer from American Express Gold!!! I have to apply before Aug. 19, 2009.  I know this is a THE CARD, that's a grown man card and looks good on my credit.  I am wondering should I apply since I already have over 10,000 in credit and soon to be graduate.  But I know this tradeline will look good to creditors for my future..When I am ready to purchase my first home....Help me out FICOFAMILY.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gold American Express

Do you currently have an income (are you working while in school)? If so, I'd go for it. I had a similar story and got the gold right before graduating...

Best of luck!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea.. I actually work for AT&T and I am a Accounting major so I think this will be a good thing for me for the future.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds good. I'd go for it --- great card to have.
Message 4 of 11
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

The macy's CO will probably prevent you from obtaining the card. And if they did approve you, they can always close your account later because of it. Also keep in mind, the pre-approved offers from AMEX means nothing. I have heard too many people getting those offers, but to find out later that they were denied. AMEX's main customer acquistion focus is the AMEX charge cards. If I were you, I'd wait until that CO is gone from your reports. And trust me, your not missing much from the gold charge card. Your better off with the Green if you spend alot and PIF.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, everyone I haven't been on here in a while!!! Well I have been repairing my credit since Macy's CO back in 2004 when I was 19 it has risen steadily since joining this forum.  I came from the low 600's to the lower 700s in one year.  Starting on here I had on Cap One card with a 200 dollar limit and a Macy's with a 100 limit.  I now have a Macy's Visa and store card with a limit over 6,000, a Bank of America, Cap One, Hooters and Junny.  Today I get a offer from American Express Gold!!! I have to apply before Aug. 19, 2009.  I know this is a THE CARD, that's a grown man card and looks good on my credit.  I am wondering should I apply since I already have over 10,000 in credit and soon to be graduate.  But I know this tradeline will look good to creditors for my future..When I am ready to purchase my first home....Help me out FICOFAMILY.

Personally, the $125 AF isn't worth the card unless you really are going to use the benefits, travel, etc.

Plus, Amex is really picky.  Right now you need mid to high 700's to be approved, and they don't like ANY derogs. 

But, if you get it, let us know!  Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was thinking...I only have to Apri 2011 until the CO falls off so I think I can wait on it...It's not a incentive for me to app for it now anyway.  Plus I am still pretty young so there is really no need for it, I am just making my credit stronger daily.  Thanks for the advice FICOFAM....
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

txjohn, I am trying to get a score like yours so inquiries will bring it back..man those are nice...I am just a low 700 guy...but I have made HUGE strides in one year so...look out for me..
Message 8 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

On my TU barely made it to 700. On EQ/EX I am still on high 600's. I think on EQ it is around 692 and not sure where EX stands. Hoping to get into all 700's soon. It might be years before I reach Txj scores.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

On my TU barely made it to 700. On EQ/EX I am still on high 600's. I think on EQ it is around 692 and not sure where EX stands. Hoping to get into all 700's soon. It might be years before I reach Txj scores.

Concord, your scores may not be as "high" as mine, but it must be a fairly good file cause you have managed to get some great accounts and CL's from my recollection Smiley Happy    I usually look for your posts when I am interested in a potential CCC cause you generally all ready did the homework Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.