Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Cash Advance work?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Cash Advance work?

Hi all! I recently got approved for a Capital One Spark Business card with a cl of $5000. And it  says it has a cash limit of $2500.

The card also came with a pin number. Does that mean I can go to an ATM and withdraw cash from the card? and if so, how much?

I'm not actually going to do this, I was just wondering how that works.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: How does Cash Advance work?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all! I recently got approved for a Capital One Spark Business card with a cl of $5000. And it  says it has a cash limit of $2500.

The card also came with a pin number. Does that mean I can go to an ATM and withdraw cash from the card? and if so, how much?

I'm not actually going to do this, I was just wondering how that works.

ATM limits are usually $300, but you can withdraw just like it's an ATM card or you can go to a financial institution and have them swipe the card to advance you more than the $300 at a time.  

Fees should be included in the literature you received with the card...usually at least $10, up to 3%, whichever is greater.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah a cash advance is basically withdrawing money from an ATM like with a debit card. One huge difference though there is a cash advance fee, and you start paying interest from the day you make the advance, no grace period.

I still can't find a reason why anyone would ever want a cash advance.

Message 3 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah a cash advance is basically withdrawing money from an ATM like with a debit card. One huge difference though there is a cash advance fee, and you start paying interest from the day you make the advance, no grace period.

I still can't find a reason why anyone would ever want a cash advance.

+100000 + 3% fee Smiley LOL

if where you are at doesn't take credit, find a place that does, or buy gift cards or what ever, its not worth the price of taking a cash advance fees and interest. or just pay cash. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 32
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Some cards don't charge any fee at all, like USAA.  I've taken them in large amounts, like $2,500, and replaced the money a week later.  It works for (and I believe this is the intended purpose) times when you need funds immediately and can't wait for things like a check clearing.   Why would you be unable to wait?  Think about uses like deposits on a rental property, brokerage transactions, a loan payoff by a certain date - make up your own example.

By the way, I've never done this via ATM.  It was a transfer, fee-free, into my USAA checking.  I then used the proceeds as needed and (I believe I was waiting for a deposited check to clear) when money was available in my checking (most likely another account, not USAA since I don't use their checking a lot and I primarlly bank elsewhere ), I put the money into my USAA checking and paid the cash advance back with one click.

It's a good feature.

Established Contributor

Cash advances only exist to see how well u can ignore it. Do not touch it. Don't even look at it.
Message 6 of 32
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@learnin113 wrote:
Cash advances only exist to see how well u can ignore it. Do not touch it. Don't even look at it.Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 32
Smug
Established Contributor

I would never use one....ever
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 8 of 32
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Cash Advances are for emergencies I think. I had to use it once. I was in Cairo and got pick pocketed. Fortunately, I had my credit cards in my front pocket. The stupid thing was all my money and ID was in my wallet in my BACK pocket. I had about $1,000 in US currency converted to foreign currency. DOH! Stupid stupid stupid! I was 23 at the time so about 8 years ago. I had no choice but to do a cash advance. It saved me since hardly any places but hotels took credit cards in Egypt.  

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More card is absolutely the best card for cash advances. You can visit grocery chains such as Food Outlet, Ralphs, Safeway and even Walmart do what Discover calls a "cash over" your purchase. It is treated as a standard purchase with no ATM, Bank or other hidden fess. It is awesome!

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.