cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

tag
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: How exactly do you get a CLI from Discover?

@CribDuchess wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

I just wasted a 2nd HP on a measly $500 CLI, so I was wondering, how exactly do you get a decent CLI from them?

Massive usage? Allow statement to close with a balance? Carry a balance?

Any suggestions?

I have been calling the number on the back of my card and following the automated prompts to reach the CLI request option.  I have had much better success with this being a soft-pull and getting $1,500 one time and $2,500 the other time I have tried this.  I am planning to use this method every 3 months.  I got one of the increases in May, and got the other one earlier this month.  In between, I did attempt another and the system wanted to transfer me to a representative.  I hung up as I figured it would then be a HP.

I have had no luck with the online luv button - it always indicates that they will need to check my credit reports.

Just like taxi818 mentioned, do you really need the CLI?, specially when you have too many credit cards with high credit lines, why waste your energy chasing the $500 or even a $1000 increase; does this become some sort of addiction?

With the high demand of CLIs and most of the time is not even needed I believe, it won't be too long before banks shutdown the privilege of the CLI and commence to change their manner; of conducting and granting credit line increases, and the first one will be AMEX.

Message 21 of 30
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@peaceonearth wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

I just wasted a 2nd HP on a measly $500 CLI, so I was wondering, how exactly do you get a decent CLI from them?

Any suggestions?

I have been calling the number on the back of my card and following the automated prompts to reach the CLI request option.  I have had much better success with this being a soft-pull and getting $1,500 one time and $2,500 the other time I have tried this.  I am planning to use this method every 3 months.  I got one of the increases in May, and got the other one earlier this month.  In between, I did attempt another and the system wanted to transfer me to a representative.  I hung up as I figured it would then be a HP.

I have had no luck with the online luv button - it always indicates that they will need to check my credit reports.

Just like taxi818 mentioned, do you really need the CLI?, specially when you have too many credit cards with high credit lines, why waste your energy chasing the $500 or even a $1000 increase; does this become some sort of addiction?

With the high demand of CLIs and most of the time is not even needed I believe, it won't be too long before banks shutdown the privilege of the CLI and commence to change their manner; of conducting and granting credit line increases, and the first one will be AMEX.

Er ... IMHO, everyone has different financial goals, situations and outlooks on what's worth it to them in terms of effort.  I wouldn't suggest intimating "addiction" simply because someone aggressively pursues any particular option.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 22 of 30
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

1/26/13 Discover It. $2000 limit.

7/27/13 I called and asked for a CLI with no hard pull. They said that wasn't possible. I allowed a HP and limit increased $1000. Total $3000.

11/15/13 called and asked for a CLI with no hard pull. They said that wasn't possible. I explained how I would like more than just $1000, and said I would be happy with $5000 total. In asking why I needed a CLI, I said I do a lot of online shopping (true), and with Black Friday, Christmas, and after Christmas sales in the near future, I would be using the Discover card. They granted the $2000 increase. Total $5000

5/3/14 heard about the phone system sometimes giving SP increases. Called, phone offered $1000. naturally I accept. Total $6000

???  I called after 3 months, phone system said it had to transfer me to a person. I hung up. 

9/16/14 decided to try the online system again. Requested $1500 gave me a system error.

9/17/14 used the online system, requested $1500. It OK'd the request, and I accepted. total $7500

So, what does all this mean? I dunno. But at first I had to accept HP's to get a CLI, and eventually they started to have offers in the system that I could get with SP. But only if I requested them.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 23 of 30
HiLine
Blogger

What really worker for me was waiting for the account to age, and increasing spending. Once I hit 15 months, I started getting meager automatic credit limit increases. After a few months of increased spending, I started requesting CLI's and was approved for good amounts. Here's my CL history:

2k-2.25k-2.5k-7.5k-9k

Message 24 of 30
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

In my case, I used the card.  Started at 4,500 limit, now at 14,000 in less than 18 months.  I asked online for a CLI every 3 months, most of the time, I got it...  4,500 -> 7,000 -> 9,000 -> 14,000.  Always used "vacation" as the reason.

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 25 of 30
MeridianRN
Established Member

I started out with a $5,000 cl. I got it increased to $7,500 about 7 months later via a hp. Since then I've gotten two sp cli, the first by $2,500 and today by $4,500 via the luv button.

Discover IT:$20,000 (4/13) | Chase United Mileage Explorer: $18,000 (4/14) | Amex BCE:$15,000 (4/13) | Amex Everyday:$15,000 (3/14) | PenFed: $ 12,000 (8/16) | Barclaycard:$11,500 (9/14) | Fidelity Amex:$8,100 (3/14) | Freedom Unlimited:$8,000 (10/13) | Citi Double Cash: $10,100 (11/15)
Message 26 of 30
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

Any suggestions?

This is exactly why I will never do a HP CLI with Discover...Smiley Frustrated.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 27 of 30
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

I am currently experimenting with the relationship method. I heard anecdotal evidence that Discover likes it if you have a strong relationship in multiple areas with them. So I am trying to improve relationship by utilizing their CC, savings account, and cashback checking products. 

Yeah right...I'm not going to jump through hoops and open checking and savings accounts just in the hopes that this will trigger a CLI. I'm at the same CL with them for over 2 years now. They will remain in the SD indefinitely.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 28 of 30
taxi818
Super Contributor

The checking is for free 50 bucks. No hoops to jump thru. I hope you at least bring it out of sd to keep it on life support. Donut. And coffee every few months. Or they may close it.
Message 29 of 30
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

I started with Discover April 2013. My limit was $750. 

I got my first CLI using HP in Nov 2013. it was raised to $2000. I cited the need to do more holiday shopping.

I tried and failed to get any more CLI till May 2014. I was given auto CLI of $3.7k, taking total to 5.7k.

A few days ago, I got an SP CLI using the CLI button and now my CL is $7k.

I use the card moderately; I make use of the bonus categories pretty decently especially restaurants and online shopping. I use their portal once in a while. I used to carry a balance (not pay interest) but nowadays I get 1-2 statements with 0 balance. My current utilization is about 25% on this card and 35% overall.

I also use the cash-over facility at my neighborhood grocery store. 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.