cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much more than the minimum should someone pay?

tag
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

Re: How much more than the minimum should someone pay?

@user5387 wrote:

If I was in this situation, I'd tackle Amex first and NFCU last.

That's probably what I will do due to the fact that I want the relationship with AMEX the most.

Message 11 of 41
Stralem
Established Contributor

All of my minimum payments fall in the $25 to $45 dollar range, so I always do 3x as an absolute minimum. What usually ends up happening is that I dump whatever I can towards a balance, though. Like $350 towards a balance with a $25 minimum. That's just how I prefer to do things.

So far, I've heard nothing but compliments from every lender I've had a conversation with.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 12 of 41
toi34
Established Contributor

I went on a shopping spree at the end of January. I have given myself 3 months to pay everybody off, so I divided my total balances per card by 3 and that's how much I have paid every month.

Give yourself a firm payoff date, divide the number of months my the balances, and that's how much you should pay.

GL!

Message 13 of 41
mrlh1980
Contributor

Why not paid in full? I don't spend whatever I can't pay in full. I love the American Express charge card for this. I'm sure other companies would like to see paid in full vs not paid in full. I even spoke with a credit analysts from Bank of America, she mentioned what they like to see is payments in full. That shows great responsibilities. Then she mentioned about my utilization being 5% is great. Now, this month my utilization went to 2%. Which only gave me 8 points on Transunion from 755 to 763 Man Sad

"Fools trade their SOULS for gold in an attempt to take control of things they can't control."
Message 14 of 41
Stralem
Established Contributor

@mrlh1980 wrote:

Why not paid in full? I don't spend whatever I can't pay in full. I love the American Express charge card for this. I'm sure other companies would like to see paid in full vs not paid in full. I even spoke with a credit analysts from Bank of America, she mentioned what they like to see is payments in full. That shows great responsibilities. Then she mentioned about my utilization being 5% is great. Now, this month my utilization went to 2%. Which only gave me 8 points on Transunion from 755 to 763 Man Sad

Yeah, because the only reason people carry balances is to buy the newest sneakers and video gaming machines.

Sudden vehicle repair costs and unexpected medical expenses?

Pssssssh!

Judgemental **bleep**.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 15 of 41
toi34
Established Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@mrlh1980 wrote:

Yeah, because the only reason people carry balances is to buy the newest sneakers and video gaming machines.

Pssssssh!

Judgemental **bleep**.

YES...you are being judgemental and you definately don't know what you're talking about. Truth be told, people can do whatever they want with their credit -- operative word(s) THEIR CREDIT, and thus it is none of your business. If you're not going to stay positive, as per the decorum policy, then stay off.

On another note, in order for one to build credit, he/she needs to demonstrate good payment activity over time; in order to do that one would need to carry balances and pay them off responsibly OVER TIME....get it???

Message 16 of 41
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Let's remember to be respectful in your comments, as to not violate myfico's TOS and User Guidelines.

Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 17 of 41
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@mrlh1980 wrote:

Pssssssh!

Judgemental **bleep**.

+1

In addition, OP asked that no one be snarky and drop a "PIF" line. I know he did becuase it was me.

Message 18 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@toi34 wrote:

YES...you are being judgemental and you definately don't know what you're talking about. Truth be told, people can do whatever they want with their credit -- operative word(s) THEIR CREDIT, and thus it is none of your business. If you're not going to stay positive, as per the decorum policy, then stay off.

On another note, in order for one to build credit, he/she needs to demonstrate good payment activity over time; in order to do that one would need to carry balances and pay them off responsibly OVER TIME....get it???

Posting on the forum means of course people will provide comments, if it really is your credit, no need to ask questions unless you want input.

But on the bolded bit, completely disagree.   A credit card extends credit between the purchase date and the due date.  You build a good history by meeting the terms of the agreement, whether paying the minimum by the due date or paying in full.  So while there are certainly reasons why paying in full may not be possible, helping your credit record is NOT a reason not to!

Message 19 of 41
toi34
Established Contributor

@ longtimelurjer
Wrong again....
One cannot build credit and thus Fico points if Fico's algorithms assume you never use your credit. Do your research.
Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.