cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sneak new cards into the house?

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: How to sneak new cards into the house?

@Anonymous wrote:

Open and honest. He might have a good reason, such as a family member that went on a spree and then went bankrupt. Or he might not know about the differences between cards, or the benefits (and drawbacks). My wife was dead set against credit cards until we sat down and talked about it, because her father is basically bankrupt from overspending. So, while it may come off as controlling, it may just be concern, and a good conversation, laying out your plans for responsible use, could go a long way to making him feel better and understand what's going on. 

Or, he could be a giant jerk, in which case you should dump him. But, talk to him first. 

LOL.  I hope he's not, but that was funny!  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 11 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Open and honest. He might have a good reason, such as a family member that went on a spree and then went bankrupt. Or he might not know about the differences between cards, or the benefits (and drawbacks). My wife was dead set against credit cards until we sat down and talked about it, because her father is basically bankrupt from overspending. So, while it may come off as controlling, it may just be concern, and a good conversation, laying out your plans for responsible use, could go a long way to making him feel better and understand what's going on. 

Or, he could be a giant jerk, in which case you should dump him. But, talk to him first. 

LOL.  I hope he's not, but that was funny!  Smiley Tongue

Gosh, I just love the comments on this threads... Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 57
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If he doesnt have credit cards you could always say "Well when you get denied for a mortgage you'll figure out why i wanted all of these" 

Or, just be like "Yo...Talk to the cards"

Or, just be like "I'm dumping you for Chase (or other bank name)" 

"Chase Who"

"Chase Bank"

/Thread

Message 13 of 57
LipzyDaizy
Regular Contributor

I was the same way when I started rebuilding my credit and applying for cards.  But after my second card, I sat my fiance down and told him about the benefits of certain cards and that my credit journey will ultimately help us when we decide to buy our first home.  We're honest about our finances and I'm always teaching him about all the things I learn from this forum.  Even though he prefers not to have credit cards, he's supportive of my "hobby" and he gets excited about my approvals and rewards. 

Just talk to him.  Its all about open and honest communication. 

Current Scores - EX 658, EQ 713, TU 722
Message 14 of 57
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

LOL, love it!
Message 15 of 57
compassion101
Established Contributor

Why are you trying to get more credit cards?

Whatever your answer is (rewards points, building credit for a house purchase, 0% money) just explain it to him.

Message 16 of 57
elim
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

If he doesnt have credit cards you could always say "Well when you get denied for a mortgage you'll figure out why i wanted all of these" 

Or, just be like "Yo...Talk to the cards"

Or, just be like "I'm dumping you for Chase (or other bank name)" 

"Chase Who"

"Chase Bank"

/Thread

lol, funny stuff

Message 17 of 57
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

If you guys can't be on the same page about finances and personal goals, leave him. I know it sounds harsh, but you shouldn't have to feel like this after you at least try to explain your reasoning & point of view about why credit cards CAN be good.

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 18 of 57
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How to sneak new cards into the house?

Don't.  Either your SO is significant enough for you to discuss finances openly or the SO isn't significant and it really doesn't matter what the SO thinks.  The problem isn't how to sneak cards in either case.

Message 19 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, you shouldnt have to hide a credit card like you were cheating. The thing is down the road, when you guys get married, have kids, buy a house everything financially that you both do will have to be shared openly and decided on together. You have to just sit down and talk to him about it. Tell him that this is good for you (and him) for the future..tell him that you are going to be nothing but responsible with the cards and what the cards can offer for you both. If you guys cant sit down, talk and come to a understanding or agreement then it will only get harder down the road when bigger financial decisions need to be made.

My husband, never cared about his credit and so did I our whole relationship we spent cash and never had a credit card. Since rebuilding I have learned so much and I have gotten a handful of cards. With every card I always talk to my husband about it. He doesnt ever tell me no, but he does give me his opinion and I do take that into consideration. Once married, everything is shared including income so not only is opening a new credit card affecting me but us as a household....especially if I were to get a little out of control with my cards (which would never happen) my husband has also saved me from myself somethimes I will ask him if I should get a random store card and he will say we dont ever shop there or do we really need it. So sometimes he helps me stay in the garden. I have also learned so much from these forums and he knows that I am also teaching him as I learn. He ask questions and he is also getting more into rebuilding his credit and was just approved for his first unsecured credit card not to long ago.

You just need to sit down and talk to him and if he has no reason to feel the way he does and just wants to be controlling then you dont need him in your life because all he will do is bring you down and not let you accomplish your goals (been there and done that with my EX) good luck OP
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.