Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think its finally time for me to get in with Amex

tag
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: I think its finally time for me to get in with Amex

@zyzzus wrote:

anyone got answers to the backdating question?

You might be able to, although I don't know if you can get the MSD updated if your card is issued before your AU status posts. Depends on how quickly Amex's systems update and how closely they're linked. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 11 of 44
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

I received this same offer last week. Haven't decided if I want it yet or not. But way cool!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 12 of 44
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Nice offer!  To answer your question about backdating, if your mom is only now just adding you as an AU, your MSD would be 4/2014 anyway.  AUs do not backdate to the primary cardholder's MSD.  So you wouldn't really gain anything by waiting to become her AU and have it post to your reports.  You might as well just go for this offer if this is the card you desire from Amex.  Good luck! Smiley Happy

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 13 of 44
zyzzus
Established Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

Nice offer!  To answer your question about backdating, if your mom is only now just adding you as an AU, your MSD would be 4/2014 anyway.  AUs do not backdate to the primary cardholder's MSD.  So you wouldn't really gain anything by waiting to become her AU and have it post to your reports.  You might as well just go for this offer if this is the card you desire from Amex.  Good luck! Smiley Happy

That makes sense.  I have neglected to read a lot about amex to begin with because i was fairly bitter they denied me like three times before now .

thank you for the response.

I BELIEVE this card is better than BCE if i use points for travel (by better i mean better value).

I don't spend enough to warrant preferred on either card.

Thanks <3 this forum.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 14 of 44
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I received the samething in the mail the other day too.  I just recently got an Amex Costco True Earnings and was thinking about getting that too.   I haven't decided on whether to apply or not.

Message 15 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@zyzzus wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

That makes sense.  I have neglected to read a lot about amex to begin with because i was fairly bitter they denied me like three times before now .

I BELIEVE this card is better than BCE if i use points for travel (by better i mean better value).

Thanks <3 this forum.

Given your other cards, it really all comes to down to how you would MR.   Clearly, BCE has little to no value for you (Sallie Mae does better on the main spend, and they are each 1% on the other stuff).  But the Fidelity Amex is going to be accepted whereever the Everday is, so you have to value 1.2MR (assuming you can do 20 per month) higher than 2% cash back, and 2.4MR higher than the Sallie Mae 5% etc.

But if you just want a starter Amex, I would go for the Everyday because it has the potential to have value, and the BCE just doesn't!

Message 16 of 44
zyzzus
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@zyzzus wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

Thanks <3 this forum.

Given your other cards, it really all comes to down to how you would MR.   Clearly, BCE has little to no value for you (Sallie Mae does better on the main spend, and they are each 1% on the other stuff).  But the Fidelity Amex is going to be accepted whereever the Everday is, so you have to value 1.2MR (assuming you can do 20 per month) higher than 2% cash back, and 2.4MR higher than the Sallie Mae 5% etc.

But if you just want a starter Amex, I would go for the Everyday because it has the potential to have value, and the BCE just doesn't!

Yeah... I've set myself up for cashback because its really easily quantfiable for me but I'd really like to get in with Amex just to finally say I have.

I need to see how MR can be redeemed.... thanks lurker

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 17 of 44
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

My mom got this same offer. She got approved and the cards in the mail. Yay her. lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 18 of 44
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@injustifiiable wrote:

My mom got this same offer. She got approved and the cards in the mail. Yay her. lol.

Heh, Amex continued their lackluster tradition with me: There was an EDP offer in my mailbox, and yet it was addressed to someone else entirely.  Three different offers now to two different people, neither of which me at an address I've had for 9 years.

Promotional mailings! Cat Tongue

        
Message 19 of 44
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@zyzzus wrote:

IMG_20140420_150635369.jpg 

My mother opened BCE last year. If I get added as AU before being approved for this I get to backdate?

I have experian on ice... I'll need to thaw correct? From the small amount of reading I've done this card trumps bce as long as I use points to travel?

I have a lot of cards reporting balances right now and just paid off an auto loan. Going to let these payments report have one card show a balance and give it one final whirl. If they deny me again I'll give up lol

Zyzzus, did you decide to apply?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.