Frequent Contributor
WallyxD

Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

I've read online, I actually think it was on these forums somewhere, that opening a Chase Checking account helps you get your foot in the door with them? More specifically, I saw someone say "Open a checking account with them and then apply for the freedom in a few months". Does having the checking account really improve chances with their cards?

AE Store CC: $850 | AEO Visa: $2,300 | CapOne Quicksilver: $1,700 | Citi Forward for Students $1,500 | Walmart CC $1,350 | Chase Amazon: $500 | PayPal Smart Connect: $500 | Discover iT for Students: $500 | Chase Freedom: $500

Gardening until util 30%
TU Fico: 652 (3/11/14)
New Contributor
tatterz

Re: Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

Perhaps if you apply at your local branch. If they see that you are in good standing and eager to bank with them, they are probably more opt to lean towards your side and helping you get Freedom. If you apply online, I don't think the automated computer really looks at that or cares but the human element makes a difference.

TU: 730 (Lender Pull) ; EQ: 738 (MyFico)
Barclay's Sallie Mae 5% Mastercard $1k(4/2013)- My main beach
Chase Freedom $3k (3/2013) - My side beach
Amex BCE $6k (3/2013) - When I feel like a boss
Crapital One Platinum $750 (2/2010) - When I feel like a n00b
Established Contributor
scenery_guy

Re: Is opening a Chase Checking account really a way to get your foot in the door?

Yes, it helps, or it helped me. 

Valued Contributor
indiolatino61

[ Edited ]

WallyxD wrote:

I've read online, I actually think it was on these forums somewhere, that opening a Chase Checking account helps you get your foot in the door with them? More specifically, I saw someone say "Open a checking account with them and then apply for the freedom in a few months". Does having the checking account really improve chances with their cards?

I guess it's YMMV...I have had one for 3 years and was denied the Freedom in October, 2012. I did not apply at the branch though, just online. Next time I'll do it in the branch.

photo Logo-CreditCardCollection-DataInclusive_zpsf395b751.jpg
Valued Contributor
dodfire

Chase Checking / Savings 4+ years... Applied online.... DENIED!!

*8/10/13
Frequent Contributor
E150GT

I don't have a chase checking account. I have two chase cards. It's not necessary

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $18k
EQ-742 EX-702 TU-737
09Lexie

[ Edited ]
I have the Freedom, no banking relationship.

Edit: I did have an auto loan with them. 😏
Super Contributor
enharu

in a way......it can. it may not necessarily be a checking account. it can be a savings, CDO, investments, mortage, auto loan, etc.

as for checkings, savings, CDO, it honestly boils down to how much money you have with them. they do look at your average daily balance and you need to have the account for some time, so it's not like you can deposit 100k, apply for the card on the same day, get approved, and withdraw instantly. It helps, but it's not necessary. And if you're just putting a few hundreds to thousands, it probably won't help.

As for mortage / loans etc, you're basically building relationship with Chase. They're making money out of your mortage / auto loan, and at the same time it also gives them more confidence about giving you a card.

So in general if you ask me..........it's indeed a way to get your foot in the door, but only if the amount you're depositting is adequate. Is it necessary though? Definitely not. The posters above have provided a few examples where they got approved w/o any checkings, and denied when they already have accounts with Chase.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Frequent Contributor
WallyxD

enharu wrote:

in a way......it can. it may not necessarily be a checking account. it can be a savings, CDO, investments, mortage, auto loan, etc.

as for checkings, savings, CDO, it honestly boils down to how much money you have with them. they do look at your average daily balance and you need to have the account for some time, so it's not like you can deposit 100k, apply for the card on the same day, get approved, and withdraw instantly. It helps, but it's not necessary. And if you're just putting a few hundreds to thousands, it probably won't help.

As for mortage / loans etc, you're basically building relationship with Chase. They're making money out of your mortage / auto loan, and at the same time it also gives them more confidence about giving you a card.

So in general if you ask me..........it's indeed a way to get your foot in the door, but only if the amount you're depositting is adequate. Is it necessary though? Definitely not. The posters above have provided a few examples where they got approved w/o any checkings, and denied when they already have accounts with Chase.

Yeah the fact that you said "just putting a few hundreds to thousands, probably won't help", I no longer have interest in opening an account. I don't even make a thousand dollars a month haha. But thank you everyone for your input.

AE Store CC: $850 | AEO Visa: $2,300 | CapOne Quicksilver: $1,700 | Citi Forward for Students $1,500 | Walmart CC $1,350 | Chase Amazon: $500 | PayPal Smart Connect: $500 | Discover iT for Students: $500 | Chase Freedom: $500

Gardening until util 30%
TU Fico: 652 (3/11/14)
Mega Contributor
LS2982

I would think It does especially if you have a good bit of $$$ in the bank and you apply in-branch.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}