cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for 0% card with high starting limit - what's my best option?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for 0% card with high starting limit - what's my best option?

@Anonymous wrote:

K-In-Boston: I just saw your other post. Good to know about requesting the CLI after applying.

As for your question about mortgage. I close on September 1st, so I'm just doing some research to prepare. Even though my lender told me that they don't do a second pull on FHA loans before closing, I am absolutely going to wait until I have keys in hand before I do an app spree. 

Donny: As I mentioned in my original post I knew that NFCU gave high SL based on my research, but when I went to their website it didn't mention anything about 0% intro so I assumed that wasn't available. Others in this thread corrected me though so I definitely will consider them when I do my app spree.

Yeah, I missed it because if you want to know the truth I was on the elevator in the Prudential building being squashed by everyone.

Message 21 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking for 0% card with high starting limit - what's my best option?

@Anonymous wrote:

K: I meant spread thin haha so I guess thick but relatively low lines each. That sounds like a good plan for BoA. I don't typically carry a balance on my cards, but since my home buying brought me here to myFico I've been introduced to the crazy world of credit cards.

Is it unwise to keep opening up 0% BT cards every year to pay off my purchases? It would be nice to payoff my $5k home expenses over 3 or 4 years without interest. But I don't know if I would take too much of a hit constantly having a balance on my cards. Although now that I have a mortgage I guess it's not too bad if I take a hit for a little bit.

Also, does the fact that I am an AU on a $20,000 Amex BCE card change anything? Or is it like the mortgage where not really any consideration is given to it.

Thanks again for all your advice, you have been super helpful!

Opening up a new balance transfer card every year would ding the "average age of accounts" and "time since most recent account opening" parts of your scores, but should not cause any major issues.  I would caution that you would likely be paying balance transfer fees (usually 3-5%) on most credit cards when you transfer them and if a $5k purchase is wearing you thin on the ability to pay back (that's only about $100 a month at 0% if you spread it out over 48 months), you may be hitting a slippery slope with home ownership where big expenses can and do happen.  

Having a constant balance on a card doesn't hurt, and you'll take a hit if none of your cards are reporting a statement balance since it then looks like you aren't using any of your credit.  The key is to have the right amount of balance(s) showing - generally less than 29% of your total credit and ideally 1-9%, more than half of your credit cards reporting $0, and ideally no more than 29% reporting on any one card.  There are a lot of other factors in there, but those are the basics.  Also once you close on home, there's no real need to micromanage your reporting balances unless you plan to apply for a new loan or credit card, just don't let your creditors think you're maxed out.

As for the AU status, it is going to depend on how a lender's internal scoring works and/or the relationship you have with the primary user.  Generally, that should be quite helpful if the card's utilization is under control, it isn't a brand new card, and the payment history is flawless.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.