cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxxing out a CC for the intro APR and it killing my ability to get a CL on another card.

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Maxxing out a CC for the intro APR and it killing my ability to get a CL on another card.

You could easily get your utilization down my using your Charge Card for everything for 30 days and paying the other cards to report 0 on the statement date.  you're charge card DOES NOT count against your utilization.

Having 1 card maxed out with your credit really isn't going to affect you that much.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 38
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: Maxxing out a CC for the intro APR and it killing my ability to get a CL on another card.

@j_casteel wrote:

are you running a business using your credit cards? What do you do that makes you nearly max out every card you have plus have nearly $30k on your charge card?

Also, to go along with what everyone is saying. yes you definitely need to get util down before you're going to get a CLI. Just because you PIF each month doesn't mean you're doing it "right" and what I mean is that you could be paying after the statement cuts and therefore your credit file looks as if you max your cards out constantly (and leave them that way).

nevermind, i read the OP again and seen that you do run a business using your cards....be careful doing that. Many horror stories of people getting cards cancelled for doing so unless they are all business credit you're using.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 12 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@j_casteel wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

are you running a business using your credit cards? What do you do that makes you nearly max out every card you have plus have nearly $30k on your charge card?

Also, to go along with what everyone is saying. yes you definitely need to get util down before you're going to get a CLI. Just because you PIF each month doesn't mean you're doing it "right" and what I mean is that you could be paying after the statement cuts and therefore your credit file looks as if you max your cards out constantly (and leave them that way).

nevermind, i read the OP again and seen that you do run a business using your cards....be careful doing that. Many horror stories of people getting cards cancelled for doing so unless they are all business credit you're using.

+1

Message 13 of 38
gpfirestone
New Contributor

I don't really care about my Chase Freedom Card or my CitiCards.  If they got cancelled it wouldn't bother me.  I want to primarily use Capital One 2% Cash Back card.  But since that limit is so low and Capital One is so difficult to get a CL increase with I've been really going hard on the Amex.  I'm in the trade business and am able to buy 70% of my inventory on CC's so cash back is a huge plus.  I don't mind Amex Rewards points, but at a certain point you just have too many.  I'm around 400,000 MR points now and honestly don't know if I'll ever spend them all since all they are really good for is travel.

I also don't want to pay before the statement date.  I use the credit as a form of capital and extending it 20 days to the payment date is a huge plus.  I appreciate everyone here suggesting that I lower my CU but if you read my initial post, it was more a request for information on what the damage from having one CC maxxed out was, not about CU in general and whether there was a way to directly interact with a higher up at Capital One to explain my business and my credit needs and for them to actually see how well I've used credit in the past and that if they gave me a higher limit I would be putting 60-100k a month on their card.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 14 of 38
Alcibiades
Contributor

If I understand correctly, you have $36,000 in revolving credit, but $24,900 is outstanding balances. However, you pay all but $13,800 of that balance down every month (presumably after you receive a bill).

The key for you is to pay down everything except your diamond before the statement hits. That way, those balances will show zero on youe credit reports.

After doing this you will still have 38% utilitzation ($13,800 out of $36,000). That will prevent you from getting some cards, so if you want to be clear, pay that down to get it to around 15% or so.

EDIT - I just saw your last post... So your goal is to get a large limit on your Capital One cash back card or to find a cash back card with a high limit / spending ability. That may be difficult if they see you have high ultilization and cannot pay them down to zero ahead of time. Could you just use your Chase Freedom in the interim (and pay down the balance as you go in order to stay under the minimum)? It is rare to find cash back business cards.

Message 15 of 38
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

I don't really care about my Chase Freedom Card or my CitiCards.  If they got cancelled it wouldn't bother me.  I want to primarily use Capital One 2% Cash Back card.  But since that limit is so low and Capital One is so difficult to get a CL increase with I've been really going hard on the Amex.  I'm in the trade business and am able to buy 70% of my inventory on CC's so cash back is a huge plus.  I don't mind Amex Rewards points, but at a certain point you just have too many.  I'm around 400,000 MR points now and honestly don't know if I'll ever spend them all since all they are really good for is travel.

I also don't want to pay before the statement date.  I use the credit as a form of capital and extending it 20 days to the payment date is a huge plus.  I appreciate everyone here suggesting that I lower my CU but if you read my initial post, it was more a request for information on what the damage from having one CC maxxed out was, not about CU in general and whether there was a way to directly interact with a higher up at Capital One to explain my business and my credit needs and for them to actually see how well I've used credit in the past and that if they gave me a higher limit I would be putting 60-100k a month on their card.

the problem isn't with one of your cards though...as far as what lenders see is that ALL of your cards are maxxed out since you wait until the statement cuts and then pay them. So you're constantly 80-100% uti and will most likely never be able to get an increase because they percieve it as if you aren't currently using the credit you already have properly. I know you want to know about that one card being near max limit, but unless you PIF all the other cards before they cut and let them report that then on your report they all show near maxxed out and not just the one so they go hand and hand.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically you are catching behind. The bottom line is if you don't have a upward cash flow, you shouldn't been having these balances. This is what I'd called bad debt. You just need to pay down those balances off. Their not special formula. Increase your cross selling, additional services.
Message 17 of 38
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Sounds like you probably want the Magical Fantasyland card by Weird Credit Bank.

This is the card where you can carry insane balances using your personal credit as business credit and never get shut down and you could also extend your payment past the statement due date and you get rewarded with more money and higher limits.

The truth is buddy that your credit profile looks like a train wreck. It has the appearance of somebody who is one "mistake" away from total collapse. You seem to be in some kind of denial so let me just tell it to you plainly. Your credit profile looks like you're risky. You're leveraged to the hilt - maxing out every month and paying off when you get paid. All it would take is a couple of those banks deciding not to extend you any more credit and you'd be in a serious problem and the problem with that is that the banks know this.

You're not going to get a high limit capital one card. You would be lucky if you got any more credit extended to you the way you're running your cards. I at first thought you were just creating a troll thread to mess with people but if this is really what you're doing month to month, you should just thank your lucky stars you haven't been cut off by everyone.

Message 18 of 38
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Sounds like you probably want the Magical Fantasyland card by Weird Credit Bank.

This is the card where you can carry insane balances using your personal credit as business credit and never get shut down and you could also extend your payment past the statement due date and you get rewarded with more money and higher limits.

The truth is buddy that your credit profile looks like a train wreck. It has the appearance of somebody who is one "mistake" away from total collapse. You seem to be in some kind of denial so let me just tell it to you plainly. Your credit profile looks like you're risky. You're leveraged to the hilt - maxing out every month and paying off when you get paid. All it would take is a couple of those banks deciding not to extend you any more credit and you'd be in a serious problem and the problem with that is that the banks know this.

You're not going to get a high limit capital one card. You would be lucky if you got any more credit extended to you the way you're running your cards. I at first thought you were just creating a troll thread to mess with people but if this is really what you're doing month to month, you should just thank your lucky stars you haven't been cut off by everyone.

+1

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 19 of 38
Simply827
Established Contributor

You don't need to have a zero balance for 30 consecutive days...only when the statements cut. So find out the statement dates for all of your cards and PIF the day before (or however long it takes to post). That way they will actually report the zero balance and increase your chances of CLI.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.