cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My path to the top! Any input in greatly appreciated! :)

tag
iBkickinit
Valued Member

My path to the top! Any input in greatly appreciated! :)

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who has contributed to my credit education.

I came to this site knowing very little about how credit worked.  As of mid 08', all my FICO's were in the high 500's.  I had 4 collections and a charge-off. two of which I had paid trying to make good, and ended up with PAID collections on my CR's... ugh. I had no active tradelines reporting, and only a positive full year of an auto loan to show.

I researched and asked around, and with alot of knowledge, a little luck, and some time, by the end of 08' I gained three secured cards (all report as normal credit cards) at 200, 200, and 400, and ALL collections had been removed!!!  I decided to let the cards mature a full year before seeking a new wave of credit.

Fast forward to now. TU FICO of 711, EQ FICO of 709. Oldest account 6 years, AAoA 3 years.Util at 33%.  Total of three 30-day lates, most recent was 33 months ago.  I just paid down my cards to 1% util, and added 400 to the lines for CL's of 200/500/500. Once the accounts re-age next month, and I pick up a few extra, I intend to apply for new credit.  I have no inquiries in the past 15 months.

I bank with BofA, but once had a chargeoff.  Cleared from my CR, but I am blacklisted from ever likely getting a card with them in the near future.  WHAT to apply for is my question...

My thoughts:

I'd like one, maybe two gas cards, likely Shell and Chevron/Texaco. Hoping for at least 500 CL each.

I'm thinking of starting to bank with Chase, as they are everywhere near me. I'm hopeful for getting a good CL with them. 

I intend to join a local Credit Union as well, and they have many good credit products. 

Also considering a store card.  Lowe's? Macy's? worth it?  Any input on what I should be gunning for in this app spree would be appreciated. 

Im not expecting a 10k+ credit line here, but a few solid 500-5k cards would be great in my eyes. Am I aiming too high or too low?

Here's looking forward to new credit!

UPDATE 2-13-10: Was added to a family member's 10k discover as an AU.  Score jumped from ~710 to ~760.  Got bold and applied for Citi Platinum Amex.  Got 7-day review msg, and just found out I was APPROVED for 12k!!! Good way to start my app spree! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by iBkickinit on 02-13-2010 12:12 PM
FICO 9-14-08: TU: 584 / EX:622 / EQ: 599
FICO 1-15-10: TU: 711 / EQ: 709
Goal: 800 Club!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
msdraglox
Regular Contributor

Re: My path to the top! Any input in greatly appreciated! :)

I have a Macys card and I have problems with it (but that is due to other reasons) I would look up the threads on Macys before you apply for them. I also have a Lowes card and I use it for small purchases like light bulbs etc.. they were pretty generous with my CL but when I did not use it for a period of 2 months they cut my limit all the way down to the current balance Smiley Mad I am working to pay that one down now since it went from 20% Util to 95% util... but after that I will ask for a CLI, Good luck on the card apps.
Started at 586 EQ and 604 TU in 8/2009
565 EQ Oct 09
614 EQ Dec 09
624 EQ Feb 10 ---604 TU Jan 10
643 EQ March 10 --from lender
Current 573 TU (myfico) 632 EQ (from lender) Jan 11
Message 2 of 6
newstart2010
Blogger

Are you going to be buying a car or a home anytime soon?  If so, I would push hard to do all banking and most credit through the Credit Union.  They are going to most often give you the best rates on the auto and home loans, and are more generous to their members who have other products with them and use them heavily. 

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 3 of 6
iBkickinit
Valued Member

YAY! See first post, scored a Citi Platinum Amex! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
FICO 9-14-08: TU: 584 / EX:622 / EQ: 599
FICO 1-15-10: TU: 711 / EQ: 709
Goal: 800 Club!!!
Message 4 of 6
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Good for YOU!  Congrats on the newest member of the family!!!
BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 6
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Congrats! You are moving on up! WTG!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.