Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with improving my credit.

tag
nafelix
New Visitor

Need help with improving my credit.

Hi,

As the title says, I need help with improvng my credit.

About 3 years ago I was 90days delinquent on my payment and that is about the only negative credit history I have.

I have set up a secure loan from my credit union, and been paying it on time for the past 2 years.

I am thinking about applying for a Chevron personal gas card as my first credit card. I have been rejected multiple times back in 2010.

Since then I havent applied for any type of credit, except for my job and my cell phone company looking up my credit history.

My credit scores are Equifax:664 Experian:663 Transunion:647.  My income in roughly $35,000 before taxes, and my credit report shows that I had a delinquent and that It has been paid off and closed on request of the grantor.

If I apply for a chevron gas card, do you think I will be approved for it?  Even if it is only $100 I want something to help me raise my credit scores.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help with improving my credit.

Apply for CapOne Newcomer card. It is card for no or average credit with 2% on travel and 1% on everything else. Most prime cards will come 6-12 months after getting a card for average credit.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 2 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@nafelix wrote:

Hi,

About 3 years ago I was 90days delinquent on my payment and that is about the only negative credit history I have.

I have set up a secure loan from my credit union, and been paying it on time for the past 2 years.

I am thinking about applying for a Chevron personal gas card as my first credit card. I have been rejected multiple times back in 2010.

Since then I havent applied for any type of credit, except for my job and my cell phone company looking up my credit history.

My credit scores are Equifax:664 Experian:663 Transunion:647.  My income in roughly $35,000 before taxes, and my credit report shows that I had a delinquent and that It has been paid off and closed on request of the grantor.

If I apply for a chevron gas card, do you think I will be approved for it?  Even if it is only $100 I want something to help me raise my credit scores.

Welcome to the forum

IMHO wait a couple of months and let scores increase and then look into Cap ! and Discover. 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Secured credit card might be a good option. Just the same, even after you get that it will take some time before your score improves.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 5
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@nafelix wrote:

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

If you already have a relationship with your local CU then you should ask them if they could approve you for a CC since CUs are much easier.

Also if you have a Walmart gas next to you then why dont you try the Walmart CC issued by GE.  Save 5 cents per gallon on gas.  

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.