Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New card with high limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New card with high limit?

My husband has good credit and his scores are in the mid 700 range. He has $10,000 he would like to BT to something with 0% inroductory period. He has two major cc, one with US Bank with $25,000 (CAL, not CL) and the other with CapOne for $10,000. He lives off his credit cards normally and pays them off right away.

In this case, he felt he had to put $15,000 on his card for a major purchase, will payoff $5000 right away and wants to put the remainder on a 0% BT so that he has breathing room. Does anyone have suggestions on which  cards he could get approved on with a high enough limit to do this? I know he was looking into Citi double cash back but I have read their limits are not very high on new accounts. He also was interesting in getting an Amex but I don't know about BTs for these. I'm thinking he could app for another Cap1 but idk.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New card with high limit?

Arguably the best BT card is the Chase Slate. It's 0% for 15 months and waives the BT fee if the transfer is made within the first 60 days of opening the account. A 3% fee for BT is pretty standard, so the real win here for the Slate is the $0 fee for the transfer... it's a savings of $300.

Since all of his limits are high, there's a good chance he'll get a high enough SL on Slate if he's approved.

EDIT: The QuickSilver One from Cap 1 also has a $0 transfer fee and a (shorter) 9 month 0% APR on BTs... but, the card has an AF and a $10k SL on the QS1 is, in my observations, rare, since it's a lower tier card for them.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

His scores are high enough to get a decent approval. I would app for 2 cards with 12 month 0 interest cycles to be safe.

Citibank DC and DP are ok as is Slate if he has less than 5 new accounts in 2 years. Research some Barclay's products as well.

What card is he trying to BT?

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am Ex cards like the BCE or ED have I believe 12 months no interest, but if he wants to divide $10,000 over 12 equal payments,  they may get a little squeamish after 5-6 months of the balance not being paid off.

Message 4 of 18
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

I like the Amex choices also...I can't speak on them no liking balances as I have carried them on both my revolvers till the last month of 0% and never had any adverse action if anything during the time of BCE(my first) I had balance @ 61 day 3X CLI and 6mths remain. on 0% when I got EDP, did some BT on to EDP and got 61 day 3X CLI and still carry balance till 0% is over.then PIF....So that is just my exp. hope it helps someone...
Good Luck !!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll just reiterate here the importance of a $0 BT FEE card. The Amexes and the Citi cards will all charge you a fee to do the transfer.

Message 6 of 18
axlm
Regular Contributor

I would research some credit union cards, as those are almost always 0% fee for BT, low APR (should something prevent full payment after the introductory period) and depending on the institution, high limits.

For instance, I recently joined Alliant CU for a loan, and they pushed really hard for me to apply for one of their cards. The lady on the phone was looking at my credit report and she said they would give me a really high CL compared to what I had. Funny thing is, she was referring to some 10k CLs from my AU cards, not MY OWN cards (they were much lower than what I have now on my sig). I wasn't interested at that moment so I didn't bite, but I assume she meant something like 15-20k.

Hope that helps.

Last update: NOV 2022

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wants to BT from USbank. He's had the card a long time. Has no real limit. I'm not sure what his rate is. He's only used it in emergencies or large purchases he pays off right away. This time he doesn't want to do that and pay on it for a little while at 0%. He has no new cards or apps for them so no inquiries for those although he refinanced for a new bike and we refi'd mortgage. So you think the Citi cards will go high enough?

My credit union uses Elan Financial for their cards. I have two through them and really like the cards. They have their platinum at zero for 12 months but 3% transfer. I don't think he really cares about the transfer fee, just getting some time at the zero APR for some time. Citi had the DC for two years at zero and fee for BT. He didn't care but I guess if he doesn't get a high enough limit, he can app for a second card.

Message 8 of 18
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

I just got a new Discover card for my SO.   They gave a 14K limit and offer 0% balance transfer for 18 months.  I do not know about the balance transfer fee, but assume 3%.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

such a waste to open a new account just for interest savings. especially with limits that high.  slate is a risk for low limit.

have you considered a debt shuffle?  get a card like the Ring, move as much to that as possible, then to a BT offer back on the US bank card.  Then you wont be stuck with a nearly worthless slate when its paid off..

Doesn the US bank card have any offers for a convenience check?  

u guys and your bt fees....they dont even come close to interest charges. I am just fine with people paying them if it saves them money.  If you can get a decent limit with chase, then by all means go for it. why not app for the slate and if limit aint high enough grab a freedom under same inquiry then move the limit.....

or, and some people here might flip out on me for this... but you could  always shuffle some of it to you before you BT it back to US bank.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.