cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion: Discover It Miles or 5% Categories cash back?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Opinion: Discover It Miles or 5% Categories cash back?

@Anonymous wrote:

Couple of points ... "Discover Deals" that are in addition to the "5% rotating categories" has served some of us well (you will find some variations in views) and the Discover Deals are not part of the Discover Miles Card offering. As to a trifecta, wonder if Discover still issues their elite Discover Premium and Discover Premium Plus Cards (Black in color) as the last write up from Doctor of Credit dates to 2015 and were suppose t be exclusive (minimum spend of $40K reported and by invitation only). I have contacted Discover Bank about these cards on several occassions and not once did the CSRs admit they existed?!

Are you sure about that? I have the 5% so can't personally check. I've not heard this before, so I'm a bit surprised since it would be a major difference between otherwise similar cards.

I find 5% occasionally useful. 1.5% is never useful.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 15
steel_string
Regular Contributor

I closed mine a while back, but IIRC, some Discover Deals were available for the It Miles, but most weren't.
Chase Sapphire Preferred ($24.005k), Fidelity VS ($17K), United MileagePlus Explorer ($17K), Chase Freedom ($15K), Chase Freedom Unlimited ($15K), AmEx Blue Cash ($12.5K), IHG One Rewards Premier ($6.1K), US Bank Cash+ ($5K)
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Couple of points ... "Discover Deals" that are in addition to the "5% rotating categories" has served some of us well (you will find some variations in views) and the Discover Deals are not part of the Discover Miles Card offering. As to a trifecta, wonder if Discover still issues their elite Discover Premium and Discover Premium Plus Cards (Black in color) as the last write up from Doctor of Credit dates to 2015 and were suppose t be exclusive (minimum spend of $40K reported and by invitation only). I have contacted Discover Bank about these cards on several occassions and not once did the CSRs admit they existed?!

Are you sure about that? I have the 5% so can't personally check. I've not heard this before, so I'm a bit surprised since it would be a major difference between otherwise similar cards.

Glad you flagged my response!!! The "Discover Deals" are available to the Discover it, Discover Miles and Discover Chrome. Called right now and asked. The Discover CSR team said "Discover Deals" are available to all Discover Card products". Oops ... glad you called me on this!!!

Message 13 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Glad you flagged my response!!! The "Discover Deals" are available to the Discover it, Discover Miles and Discover Chrome. Called right now and asked. The Discover CSR team said "Discover Deals" are available to all Discover Card products". Oops ... glad you called me on this!!!

At least in the past, the deals on IT Miles were a subset of those on IT (as previous poster mentioned).  Very few 5% or 10% off ones, more like Amex offers, spend $100 and get $20

My account lists 89 offers though (nearly all useless to me), someone with IT, how many do you see?

Message 14 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

At least in the past, the deals on IT Miles were a subset of those on IT (as previous poster mentioned).  Very few 5% or 10% off ones, more like Amex offers, spend $100 and get $20

My account lists 89 offers though (nearly all useless to me), someone with IT, how many do you see?

156 offers from 154 merchants on my 5% IT.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.