Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF technique

tag
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Re: PIF technique

@gh17 wrote:

I read it again; I might understand what you mean.  Are you saying the following?

In March, you make $1000 in purchases.

Your April 1st (making up a date for simplicity) statement comes, and you pay the full $1000 before the due date of April 25th.

During the month of April, you may $500 in purchases.

Your May 1st statement comes, and it lists the balance of $500, and you pay $500 before the due date of May 25th.

During the month of May, you make an additional $1000 of purchases.  So you are thinking about how in May, you made both a purchase and a payment.

If that's what you're saying - now when your June 1st statement comes, the balance is going to show $1000, and the $1000 consists entirely of "May purchases."  You have until June 25th to pay this without interest.  Even though you paid $500 in May and charged $1000, there is a grace period for $1000 (not just for $500).  Your $500 payment was towards your previous balance and has nothing to do with your current spending, since you're still paying off the old purchases.

As long as you pay the full balance on your statement every month, you're fine.

Yes, that's it. It was kinda hacky to write up, but in the time it got me to get back to my computer you figured it out. 

My last statement on one card closed/posted/reported at $300. I've run up another $400 and wanted to pay the $300 next payday and let the "new" $400 report next month. 

Makes sense now. thanks. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.