Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Possible changes coming to the Chase UR program

In two other discussion boards (Doctor of Credit and FlyerTalk), the view has been expressed that Chase is using the $.015 travel portal redemptions as a stalking horse and that a more important, but unstated, part of the devaluation would be to also eliminate or devalue the transfer of UR points earned on no-fee cards to Chase's partner airline and hotel loyalty programs.  If you follow the point valuations of The Points Guy, One Mile at a Time, or The View from the Wing, their UR values are all higher than $.015 because of these transfers.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 61 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

In two other discussion boards (Doctor of Credit and FlyerTalk), the view has been expressed that Chase is using the $.015 travel portal redemptions as a stalking horse and that a more important, but unstated, part of the devaluation would be to also eliminate or devalue the transfer of UR points earned on no-fee cards to Chase's partner airline and hotel loyalty programs.  If you follow the point valuations of The Points Guy, One Mile at a Time, or The View from the Wing, their UR values are all higher than $.015 because of these transfers.

I've seen those discussions and I find it extremely unlikely that Chase would severely devalue or eliminate the transfer or UR points to hotel/airline partners.  If they did so they would kill the draw of almost all of their travel credit cards.  It's the nature of discussion boards to forecast worst case scenarios.

Message 62 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

I intentionally passed on getting the CSR and the "trifecta" even when they were at the zenith of their popularity, and this new rewards program change only makes me more glad that I did.

Your loss. Also, I think people are missing the point and they really need to be hit over the head with it. This was a survey. That is all. There has been no rewards program change!

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 63 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

yfan, don't forget "Blue from American Express" down there in my signature!  Smiley Happy  Another MR-earning card with no AF and very little reason to have otherwise (it does have some perks like extended warranty, purchase protection, roadside assistance, etc.).

As it is now with my Freedom + CSP combo, I don't think Chase is losing anything on me.  My Freedom is used for category spending and my CSP is used for restaurant/travel (parking, mass transit, etc.)/misc. in the US when Amex is not accepted.  All of my UR points are getting funneled through the CSP and turned into Marriott points (maybe not maximizing rewards, but it's simple and works out well for me since I have been getting great redemption value).  If I were not able to do this, unless I change rewards strategies there's absolutely no reason for me to keep the CSP and I would just end up merging the line into my Freedom card and taking 5% straight cash back on exclusively quarterly category spend - now that is unprofitable.

Yea a lot of people aren't redeeming for max value. Also, a lot of people get tired of always pulling out different cards so in addition to bonus categories they start using the chase cards for non-bonus spend just out of convenice. I'm really big in in the points game and even so I still get lazy at times and will use my chase cards on non-bonus items, so I really think the number of people that min/max their spend to cost chase money is really really low. 

;
Message 64 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Kdm- I disagree. Because the 5x categories on the Freedom are limited to $75 per quarter.

So let's just say someone has the Freedom and CSP/CSR (and FU but that's not relevant for this).

They earn the max each quarter which would total out to $300 annually. If they purchase through the Chase portal to get their extra 25-50% redemption value that's an extra $75/$150 value.

The $95 or $450 Annual Fee both outweigh the additional redemption value, which is likely something they factored in when determining AF's.

Also, when you book through the Chase Portal Chase earns miles/hotels/points by purchasing it with a rewards account of its own that they then use in turn to pocket more money when people book through them Smiley Wink

Now if those 5% Categories were unlimited then eventually it would be a whole different story.

I wish I had a card that offered 5% on restaurants (6.25% CSP Value/7.5% CSR) year round unlimited that would be great and I'd spend at least $5,000 a year in that category, I'm sure others would spend More Smiley Happy

Oh that is an excellent point! There are caps on the freedom categories. Totally forgot that. 

;
Message 65 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The $95 or $450 Annual Fee both outweigh the additional redemption value, which is likely something they factored in when determining AF's.

I think we are hearing from Chase that the annual fees do *not* cover the cost of all these UR transfers, and that's why they're planning some changes to the program.

Again its a survey. Nothing is planned that we know about it. If they already decided to do it no matter what then there wouldn't be any point wasting money on a survey. 

;
Message 66 of 81
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

I intentionally passed on getting the CSR and the "trifecta" even when they were at the zenith of their popularity, and this new rewards program change only makes me more glad that I did.

Your loss. Also, I think people are missing the point and they really need to be hit over the head with it. This was a survey. That is all. There has been no rewards program change!

It's really no loss for me -- I know that the CSR and Chase cards in general are greatly liked and admired on the forum, but my own personal view is that the overall value of the CSR is greatly exaggerated, particularly if (like me) you're the kind of person who travels very little or very infrequently, say maybe once a year at most for example.  Especially with the CSR's high AF.  Hence I am not a fan of the CSR. But to each his or her own.  Also fwiw, I can see how the CSR could be very valuable or lucrative for someone who is a frequent traveler.

Message 67 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

It's really no loss for me -- I know that the CSR and Chase cards in general are greatly liked and admired on the forum, but my own personal view is that the overall value of the CSR is greatly exaggerated, particularly if (like me) you're the kind of person who travels very little or very infrequently, say maybe once a year at most for example.  Especially with the CSR's high AF.  Hence I am not a fan of the CSR. But to each his or her own.  Also fwiw, I can see how the CSR could be very valuable or lucrative for someone who is a frequent traveler.

This is a very common misperception. I take maybe one or at most two trips a year and derive massive value from credit cards like the chase cards. You most certainly do not have to be a frequent traveller. If someone doesn't travel at all it would be pointless to have these cards, except maybe the cash back 5% freedom. If someone travels mainly domestic to locations with readily available inexpensive lodging its probably not worth it. However, for myself I typically take one vacation a year to international destinations where I am able to fly first class around the world and stay in five star hotels in major international cities for minimal cost. So the frequency of travel really has nothing to do with anything. If you take at least one trip a year it can still be quite worth it. Really it is more about how you like to travel and where you travel to. 

;
Message 68 of 81
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I'd say an international trip every year qualifies as frequent travel.  Compared to most of us, that is.

Message 69 of 81
red259
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I'd say an international trip every year qualifies as frequent travel.  Compared to most of us, that is.

I was responding to was someone who used travel once a year as a specific example of infrequent travel. 

;
Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.