Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Banks giving credit limits

tag
Sabrian31487
Regular Contributor

Question about Banks giving credit limits

I just had a question about credit limts and how banks determine or will give a credit increase. I just got my 3x credit increase from amex which took my limit to 6000.00, i just did a recon with Band Of America 123 rewards and was approved for 5000.00. My discover, and citi are only at 1000.00 each. Will banks look at what my other limits are and increase as they see fit? Like discover will see on my report that my amex is 6000 so they may increase my 1000 to 5000 or 6000? Anyone know how banks handle this? My chase and discover are coming up on 6 months of being open so hoping to get those increased.. any answers will be appreciated Smiley Happy .. Thanks

Discover IT 02/2013 (1000.00),Chase Freedom 02/2013 (3000.00),AmEx Blue Cash Everyday 06/2013 (3000.00)
Citi Simplicity 06/2013 (1000.00)
TU FICO - 718 , CK TU - 738 , Credit.com EX - 727, Quizzle.com - 720, CreditSesame.com - 720

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Banks giving credit limits

You wonder about Chase and Discover.  Do they see my new big CLs and will follow suit?

There is the proactive and reactive approach to CLIs.  Reactive means just waiting around and hoping you get auto CLI.  Proactive means you go out and get it.  Proactive approach usually means much faster CLIs.

If you are asking if Chase and Discover with reactively notice your new CLs and give you an auto CLI to match or beat, I give it little or no chance.

If you are asking if you proactively ask Chase and Discover for CLI at 6 months and give you CLI more similar to your new ones, then I think you have MUCH BETTER chance.  However, this is assuming you still have great credit, low utilization, and great payment history with them.  Also, you have to assume Chase CLI (whether approved for a ton or little or denied) will cost you a HP.  Discover is a YMMV situation but soft based CLIs is possible.  Remember, neither BofA or Amex CLs were the result of a reactive approach.  You were very proactive and you saw the result.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 4
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

+1
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Sabrian31487 wrote:

I just had a question about credit limts and how banks determine or will give a credit increase.

First off, consider that they're not all identical so they don't all follow the exact same procedures.  There won't be a single answer that applies to all lenders out there.

@Sabrian31487 wrote:

Will banks look at what my other limits are and increase as they see fit?

As always, it's never just one factor.   They're not going to only consider limits.  They will consider your entire credit picture.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.