Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon guide?

tag
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Recon guide?

Okay all so I just been lurking and reading post in the forum while gardening.. I see a lot of people talking about call recon after denial or 7-10/30day message.

What I would like to know is how did some of you guys approach the recon when connected with the credit analyst.. The last time I tried I recon I was flustered and didn't really know what to say... So some of you experts who had recon multiple times and is confident can you provide some info on how you approach the initiation?

Thanks

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Recon guide?

Know whats on your cr. Have the copy in front of you and be prepared to acknowledge and explain deficiencies. Sell their product/bank to them. It's the card your friends have suggested and you want them to be your primary cc. Also, take control of the conversation. You don't have to be rude but definitely lead the convo
Confidence + knowledge = approval.
Message 2 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

+1 to what lexie said.
Most importantly just show that you have your finances under control as well, and be truthful. If they sense a whiff of dishonesty it's going to be a straight up denial.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 6
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Also mention whatever relationship you have with them.

If there is no prior relationship, just mention what you've heard about them. You can make up stuff like "my friend said this and that". You get the drift? But as enharu and lexie said, be honest about your finances, baddies, and give them reasons to approve you.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 4 of 6
pats23
Contributor

I usually start with introducing myself and telling them that I got the 7-10 message an then ask if there is anything I can do to speed up the decision process and offer to send in proof of income or ID. That alone has gotten me approved. In other cases they have put me on hold and come back and said denied. I then ask specific reason why being very polite. For this example the reason was to much new credit. I then explained that I was only 23 and just starting my credit career an that I plan to be a customer for a Long time to come and the reason for new credit is my interest in starting off relationships with these banks to better my situation in the future. If your denied a card you probably know why before you even calm so just prepare yourself. Recon is definitely about talking your way in. Politely don't take no. I was denied my freedom the second time I got it and I asked the guy to look at my payment history and util on my later cards and pleaded that I clearly demonstrated responsible credit and then was approved. If your good and prepared you can talk your way into approval if you deserve it. Sorry for long explanation. Hope it helped

$4000----------- $5000------------$15000-------------$3500-------------NPSL----------$2500------------$5000----------$10000--------$5000
Message 5 of 6
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@pats23 wrote:
I usually start with introducing myself and telling them that I got the 7-10 message an then ask if there is anything I can do to speed up the decision process and offer to send in proof of income or ID. That alone has gotten me approved. In other cases they have put me on hold and come back and said denied. I then ask specific reason why being very polite. For this example the reason was to much new credit. I then explained that I was only 23 and just starting my credit career an that I plan to be a customer for a Long time to come and the reason for new credit is my interest in starting off relationships with these banks to better my situation in the future. If your denied a card you probably know why before you even calm so just prepare yourself. Recon is definitely about talking your way in. Politely don't take no. I was denied my freedom the second time I got it and I asked the guy to look at my payment history and util on my later cards and pleaded that I clearly demonstrated responsible credit and then was approved. If your good and prepared you can talk your way into approval if you deserve it. Sorry for long explanation. Hope it helped

"Talking your way in" is a lot easier for some people than others. I cave pretty quickly...Smiley Embarassed

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.