Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I start gardening?

tag
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Should I start gardening?

Since January, I've been approved for the Discover More Card 3000 CL, Barclays Apple Itunes Card 500 CL, and Amex Zync NPSL. Before that, I only had a Capital One Secure Card 500 CL. I would love to start gardening, but for some reason, I feel like I still should have more availble credit should something come up. I am technically still rebuilding since I do have 1 negative on my report (a CO from 08). Should I call it quits and start gardening, should I try for one more prime? 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I start gardening?

You've increased your ability to carry a balance by more than half an order of magnitude.

Under what scenarios do you feel that you need additional CL?

One additional (or two) applications isn't going to hurt you in the long run: I'm a big fan of getting inquiries done and out of the way at one time when establishing tradelines,  and I plan to go for three cards when I get to the Discover More / Amex Zync stage; however, take an honest look as to what you "need" when attempting to justify adding another CC by that rationale.

        
Message 2 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think you should garden for 12 months, and then try for one more prime. Discover is nice about giving out CLI, so definitely be good, use it a lot and pay it off a lot. Seems like they love to give an increase after you max it then pay it off. Besides, you may not be able to get another prime since you now have a lot of recent inquiries reporting. I say garden and weed out the baddies and the subprime crap that you may have!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 8
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

I would wait 6 months or so, and just focus on saving up cash.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 4 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ccb2115 wrote:

Since January, I've been approved for the Discover More Card 3000 CL, Barclays Apple Itunes Card 500 CL, and Amex Zync NPSL. Before that, I only had a Capital One Secure Card 500 CL. I would love to start gardening, but for some reason, I feel like I still should have more availble credit should something come up. I am technically still rebuilding since I do have 1 negative on my report (a CO from 08). Should I call it quits and start gardening, should I try for one more prime? 

Garden for a year, you'll get good CLI's and good prime cards next year!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

And while having a bunch of available credit is nice and comforting, nothing says you actually have to use it. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And while having a bunch of available credit is nice and comforting, nothing says you actually have to use it. Smiley Happy

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

+2

I'd focus on saving some $$ for now, and garden for the next year, you now have 4000 avail revolving credit and your Zync. You have more than 7X's the avail credit you had prior to your new CC's. Let these babies age and the inq's hit the year mark.

See where you are scorewise this time next year and go from there.

Best of Luck!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.