Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sinclair green card (charge card)

tag
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

Sinclair green card (charge card)

I have had the sinclair green card for about a year now. I live in Utah and there are a lot of sinclair gas stations around here and that is where I usually get my gas. When I got the card there were several sinclair gas stations (holiday oil) near me that gave 13 cents a gallon off at the pump when using the card. Now those stations reduced that discount to 5 cents at the pump which is comparable to what my chase amazon rewards visa gives for gas at 2% gas back on gas purchases. This card is a charge card so the balance is due in full on each due date. My credit limit is $650 but I've never run it even close to that high since I can only buy sinclair gas with it. They do not report the account to credit bureaus so it won't improve your credit score (or decrease it for opening a new account). When you apply they do a hard inquiry with transunion but then no reporting to any credit bureaus after that. The card is accepted at all sinclair stations but not all of them give a discount but the ones that do are great because you get the discount at the pump rather than waiting for cash back rebates. Does anyone else have this card? What are your thoughts on it?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gregorius
New Contributor

Re: Sinclair green card (charge card)

I don't have it, but we have our fair share of Sinclairs in northern Colorado so I've been thinking about giving it a shot. I've held off out of concern for exactly what you've observed - the discount isn't all that universal (and if it's mostly $0.05/gallon, that's only ~2.1%), and as a result I'd be better off using my Ducks or Navy More Rewards cards. The direct debit Sinclair offers in the DinoPay app (Mobile Advantage?) is a bit more interesting, but it's still only $0.10 off and I'd be concerned the app wouldn't work consistently in rural areas with poor cell service.

Message 2 of 8
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

If the stations near me offered discounts of only 5 cents last year I would have never got it but the 13 cents they were offering last year made it worth getting since it is so simple and I don't have to wait for cash back rebates. Those stations near me that give the 5 cent discount won't accept Dino pay and that app has serious issues since at other stations that take it I have tried to use it without success. Would you recommend I cancel this card? Leaving it open doesn't show on my credit reports but it is a cool looking card. My credit score and report won't change if I close this card or keep it open. 

Message 3 of 8
gregorius
New Contributor

Yeah that's what I was afraid of...sounds like I'll stick to my gas CC.

If I already had it one, I'd probably throw a charge on it every few months to keep it active just because it's a unique card (and some people here have a lot of nostalgia for Sinclair). It definitely can get annoying to track accounts in the sock drawer though, so if monitoring it is going to bother you go ahead and close it since it won't have any impact on your credit. I'm tracking enough accounts that one more wouldn't be much of a hassle.

If you're already meeting/exceeding the rewards from it using another card - there are 2%+ CB cards that don't have a min redemption - I don't see much reason to make a point of using it. For some people Amazon rewards are ultimately almost as good as cash.

Message 4 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

It sounds like the card has served its' purpose for you, @rgd51.  So barring the nostalgia factor or enjoying the card enough to use it occassionally to keep it open, I would either sock drawer or outright close it. 

A few years ago, I got fed up with retail or store cards in general.  They can be good for some people since they can offer high savings in-store or special financing offers at places where you frequently shop.   And they can be easier to qualify for than major bank cards so they are a great tool for builders/rebuilders.   But their limited and focused acceptance can add more complexity to a card lineup so everyone must decide for themselves if they are worth the hassles of carrying an extra card, keeping it alive with usage, and monitoring or paying another monthly balance.  I can't tell you how many retail/store cards I've had closed over the years for non-usage and that often happens without warning.  So if you want to keep it, do make sure to use it regularly. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 8
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I mean the 5 cent per gallon discount at the pump is nice since I don't have to wait and redeem rewards but the fact not all stations give a discount for it makes it a hit or miss. Not sure why sinclair came up with this card since it is a charge card so they don't have the ability to make money off of interest like typical retail cards can? I did see a sinclair on a road trip before that gave 10 cents a gallon off with the card but it is at least 3 hours away from me.

Message 6 of 8
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@rgd51 wrote:

... Not sure why sinclair came up with this card since it is a charge card so they don't have the ability to make money off of interest like typical retail cards can?  ...

All of these types of cards and other retail incentive programs are designed to increase sales and brand loyalty.  And one way they do that is to increase the convenience factor of paying electronically and deferring payment until the monthly statement, especially to those who might not have other credit cards.  I would imagine they carefully balance the "rewards" programs with how much impact they see them improving sales.  In the case of using the Sinclair card, that makes it very easy to see the impact of it since those sales are paid for with the card instead of with other methods. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 8
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I am just still debating whether to keep the card open or not since my Amazon rewards visa gives 2% cash back on gas and it doesn't have to be used on Amazon I can redeem the cash back at full value into my chase checking and savings accounts. If every sinclair or a significant number gave 10 cents or more off per gallon I would totally keep the card. Maverik has the nitro card which is a debit card linked to your checking account that gives 6 cents a gallon discount at the pump and then 1% in store credit so those 2 things combined are better than I would get with most credit cards so when I go to maverik I just use their nitro debit card. Shell has a mobile pay option linked to your checking account that takes 10 cents off at the pump so if I ever am at Shell I pay that way instead of with credit cards.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.