Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievable UBS Termination

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Unbelievable UBS Termination

Wow, sorry to hear about that @californiaboy935 but thanks for letting the community know!  I still remember your approval and it was quite the buzz, and the largest single credit limit of which I've seen screenshots posted on the forums! 

I remember last year you disclosed you were only 20 years old but already had high six-figure income from a profitable business (and I'm assuming assets with UBS) which led to the high-credit-line offer from your UBS advisor in the first place.   The timing of your approval (01/17/2020*) was just prior to the COVID downturn, which undoubtedly is related to the risk termination.   But I'm also wondering if you had recently moved assets from UBS or reported a lower income, possibly due to the pandemic?   That, in addition to the large $50K balance, might have raised more concerns than just the balance alone. 

I imagine if not for the pandemic, your short credit history would not have been as much of a concern.  Still, I'm surprised they didn't just cut your limits instead of closing the account and asking for payment.    It's certainly not a good way to treat an invesment client.  Good luck in getting some resolution with the issues discussed above and keep us posted! 

*Approval Post:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/UBS-Visa-Infinite-20-Years-old-Crazy-Limit/td...

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 31 of 71
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Wow, sorry to hear about that @californiaboy935 but thanks for letting the community know!  I still remember your approval and it was quite the buzz, and the largest single credit limit of which I've seen screenshots posted on the forums! 

I remember last year you disclosed you were only 20 years old but already had high six-figure income from a profitable business (and I'm assuming assets with UBS) which led to the high-credit-line offer from your UBS advisor in the first place.   The timing of your approval (01/17/2020*) was just prior to the COVID downturn, which undoubtedly is related to the risk termination.   But I'm also wondering if you had recently moved assets from UBS or reported a lower income, possibly due to the pandemic?   That, in addition to the large $50K balance, might have raised more concerns than just the balance alone. 

I imagine if not for the pandemic, your short credit history would not have been as much of a concern.  Still, I'm surprised they didn't just cut your limits instead of closing the account and asking for payment.    It's certainly not a good way to treat an invesment client.  Good luck in getting some resolution with the issues discussed above and keep us posted! 

*Approval Post:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/UBS-Visa-Infinite-20-Years-old-Crazy-Limit/td...

Thanks for that @Aim_High it was a nice limit, and something I intended on using a lot had the pandemic not made me want to stop spending any money.  Income level hasnt changed, but they havent asked for anything to verify if my income went down.  Just closing the account.  Online still says credit limit available buit alas think thats just residual and not yet changed in system.  I haven't moved any assets from my UBS account.  But they are closing that as well they said, it didnt have a high balance as most of my accounts are with Merill. He did grumble something about my age, but i dont think thats a valid reason.  This just kinda all hit me like a ton of bricks.

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 32 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they're closing your investment accounts as well, there is more to the story...

Message 33 of 71
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this considered a business or personal account? If it's a personal account, there are consumer protection laws that come into play when a lender tries to bully you but if they're considering it a business account, I'm totally unclear about what regulations exist. 

This doesn't sound like UBS is "bullying" the OP.   There's the lenders side of things (which we're not privy to know) and then the OP's account.  If a lender decides to exit a relationship, personal or business, they can do so (a credit card agreement spells those terms) - so as long it's not in violation of any federal or state laws.

We have no idea what the OP's income is, what transactions were placed on the card (questionable or not), we have no knowledge of what UBS detected as red flags, don't know much about the OP's credit profile, etc. 

@FinStar I knew a day would come when we disagree on something, and yet, I'm sad and totally unprepared. 

I agree with everything, but I do think "Resolve this before it goes any higher" is intimidation, if it was truly said during the conversation. 

I don't think it's bullying, just someone whose job is to recover this money taking a shortcut. 

"Going higher" doesn't change the terms, but since we are not privy to the agreement, I'll concede that terms might spell that account becomes payable immediately if closure is result of fraud or abuse. 

I'll go 😢 and 😭 now 

Message 34 of 71
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If they're closing your investment accounts as well, there is more to the story...

Maybe some "know your customer" review on an account anniversary?

1/17/20 card approval vs. 1/14/21 today...not sure when the brokerage account opened.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 35 of 71
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this considered a business or personal account? If it's a personal account, there are consumer protection laws that come into play when a lender tries to bully you but if they're considering it a business account, I'm totally unclear about what regulations exist. 

This doesn't sound like UBS is "bullying" the OP.   There's the lenders side of things (which we're not privy to know) and then the OP's account.  If a lender decides to exit a relationship, personal or business, they can do so (a credit card agreement spells those terms) - so as long it's not in violation of any federal or state laws.

We have no idea what the OP's income is, what transactions were placed on the card (questionable or not), we have no knowledge of what UBS detected as red flags, don't know much about the OP's credit profile, etc. 

@FinStar I knew a day would come when we disagree on something, and yet, I'm sad and totally unprepared. 

I agree with everything, but I do think "Resolve this before it goes any higher" is intimidation, if it was truly said during the conversation. 

I don't think it's bullying, just someone whose job is to recover this money taking a shortcut. 

"Going higher" doesn't change the terms, but since we are not privy to the agreement, I'll concede that terms might spell that account becomes payable immediately if closure is result of fraud or abuse. 

I'll go 😢 and 😭 now 

I think there's more information (again, we won't know what UBS found that was perceived as a risk), and the OP just shared the investment/deposit relationship was also terminated 🤷‍♂️

Message 36 of 71
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll go 😢 and 😭 now 

I think there's more information (again, we won't know what UBS found that was perceived as a risk), and the OP just shared the investment/deposit relationship was also terminated 🤷‍♂️

More twist endings. 

I'm going to move some threads (less sad now). 

Message 37 of 71
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe some "know your customer" review on an account anniversary?

1/17/20 card approval vs. 1/14/21 today...not sure when the brokerage account opened.

They said it was an annual review of all customers by Risk Managment.  and by little balance I mean I never had a investment balance at UBS, I tried wiring securities into the account when they opened it and they said the would set it up, but never did so just forgot about it.  

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 38 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@californiaboy935 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Its a consumer account.  Personally opened. 

I'm pretty sure they can't demand payment in full when you haven't breached the terms of the agreement. If they're terminating their relationship with you, your card terms are supposed to remain exactly the same as they were before the closure until you pay it off. Keep in mind though, they're not required to report your credit limit so if they choose to report the limit as $0, your scores are going to crash from a maxed out credit card. 

If they are reporting, it must be accurate. 

Since card has had a limit, it must be reported. Post closure status cannot deviate from what's factual just because they want their money faster ( can't say I blame them, it's a decent chunk).

That's also quite irrelevant since that limit is excluded from aggregate utilization calculations anyway.

Twist ending, balance isn't. 

You're right, they have to report a credit limit, but they can do like Barclays and report a $300 limit like they CLD'd it before they closed it. That's why you hear people say they lost massive points for a maxed out card but then other people don't see it happen to them. That's why the Synchrony closures haven't been so bad - Synchrony continues to report the old credit limit. 

Message 39 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP said there seemed to be a thinly veiled threat if he didn't pay it off in full, that's what I was referring to as bullying. 

Message 40 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.