Moderator Emeritus
fused

What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

Mine was a regular Sears card (at least I think it was a regular card) back in 95'. My first purchase was a brand new Compaq desktop.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (11-08-2014): EQ 818, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1

Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

Re: What Was The First Credit Card In Your Name?

Long Long go and Far far away (1980)  I had a Visa.  First card while in the military back when they would ask your parents name on the app.  Got married and let my files go dormant...:smileysad:  Coulda used that 7 years ago.
Regular Contributor
coachhenson

[ Edited ]
The summer of '92 right before college I got an Associates Visa in the mail with a $500 limit.  That was when they still sent you cards in the mail without applying.  I had no idea what it was and my older sister found out and asked for a loan...what a mistake.  The only cash advance I have or will EVER take off of a credit card.

I was so excited the first time I used it on a date with my future wife that I didn't even sign the slip at Applebee's, either.  Those were the days.

Message Edited by coachhenson on 12-09-2007 05:59 PM
Valued Contributor
jaybee

My very first card was Macy's, it had a $100 limit and I maxed it out on a pair of shoes right on the spot.:smileyvery-happy: This was in 97.

Hmmm....maybe I should reopen that.
If at first you don't succeed... hang up and try again!!
Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

I think this card was issued by Citi.  I really believe that, back then they would run your parents credit report because they would ask for names nd adresses.  Even though I was emancipated by way of being active duty military, no way did I deserve a 3k limit at 17...lol!!!  Especially back when money was worth something.  Can't tell you how many chow hall meals I ate to pay that off.  Soured me on any kind of credit for a looong time!
Valued Member
CreditJunkie

I worked for Macy's back in 2002 when I was 18, they gave me a 1500 store card which I still have.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Texaco gas card opened in 1987; closed like idiots in 2004 (stuff gets stolen from our mail box.) This was joint.

First card in only my name: Profitt's department store card, 2000. I only shop dept stores at Christmas, so I never bothered to use it, and closed it in 2002.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Frequent Contributor
moonman

back in 1985 while shopping at Montgomery wards(a family tradition store) a lady at a table asked me to apply for credit(life was very simple back then) and i said what the heck. i got approved for 800.00 limit and what did i do next? bought a casio keyboard my girlfriend at the time chewed me out for buying(thanks to her i got educated really fast about credit).
Contributor
sunkysd

fused wrote:
Mine was a regular Sears card (at least I think it was a regular card) back in 95'. My first purchase was a brand new Compaq desktop.

Wow, mine was Strawbridge and Clothier wayyyyy back in 1986 when I was 20!!!
Regular Contributor
coachhenson

I would like to ask my parents this question...they both used to have the original credit card wallet back in the late seventies/early eighties when I was a kid and they both looked like accordians when they pulled them out.  I remember the old credit card machine that carbon copied everything.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}