Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on? Unauthorized.

tag
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: What is going on? Unauthorized.

awww,, this is the time of giving and stealing, just last week my gf got a call from niki shoes, it sounded like a scam, I told her to hang up and check her bank account,,, sure enough there was a charge, so we called back and some1 had bought some shoes $194 on her debit card/check card, how they get all the info they need is beyond me, when she called the bank they said they had already tried bestbuy for 3k, I have her on my account so I went online and did fraud alerts on both of us....

Stop the madness b4 it gets uSmiley Mad

Message 31 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

There's a good chance that it's not fraud at all, but just sloppiness on the part of the bureaus and/or the lenders.

You'd be appalled at how little they bother to match --a last name, maybe a first initial, street name (and it could be a street you used to live at and the account holder currently lives at, like "Oak Street."), year of birth, on and on. No, they don't bother to match socials exactly. Smiley Mad

As long as your mortgage lender isn't giving you a hard time about it, you might want to hold off trying to clean it up, again, as long as the mortgage lender doesn't get twitchy. I agree with the credit freezes, too.

btw, ANYONE applying for a mortgage should freeze their accounts anyway before starting the mortgage process. Way too many sketchy things go on, including the credit bureaus selling the names of mortgage applicants to junk debt buyers, who will hope to slap a collection on you, knowing that you'll pay anything to keep the mortgage closing on track. Yes, the credit bureaus do this, yes, the junk debt buyers do this, and no, there are no effective legal protections for consumers, other than the aforesaid freezing of reports.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 32 of 38
quest208
Frequent Contributor

how does a tradeline get into someone's file?  wouldn't the CRA be able to determine how it got there?  like...yesterday it wasnt there.  today its there.  someone did something today to put it there.  cant that be determine?...?

OP, im rootin for you your home.  hope everything falls into place, just the way you like it LOL

happy holidays!

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 33 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@quest208 wrote:

how does a tradeline get into someone's file?  wouldn't the CRA be able to determine how it got there?  like...yesterday it wasnt there.  today its there.  someone did something today to put it there.  cant that be determine?...?

OP, im rootin for you your home.  hope everything falls into place, just the way you like it LOL

happy holidays!

I don't know if there's an audit trail. (That would imply that they care about accountability. Smiley Very Happy)

My understanding is that when account info is transmitted, it is matched to an existing file, and the matching isn't terribly rigorous. Don't know the details, though.

Although this isn't the case in the OP's situation, we've had lots of threads by people getting siblings' and parents' info on their files, strangers with same first initial + same last name + same year of birth, that sort of thing.

There's a ton of data flooding into the bureaus, and if they didn't bother to set it up properly, I can easily imagine lots of mistakes. I work in medical records, and you wouldn't believe the amount of checking and cross-checking that goes on (bar-coding on printed documents to be scanned, for instance), and even then, mistakes happen.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 34 of 38
john398
Senior Contributor

I wonder i it could of been an AU issue where someone added a simiular name as an Authorized User

Message 35 of 38
Akr_Chels
Valued Member

Same thing happened with me. Many months ago I discovered a Finger Hut cc on my CR reporting a $0 balance. I didn't open this account and Finger Hut is something I would never even look at. I had the CB remove it. Since I never open it and since then nothing fishy has happened.

Message 36 of 38
lesaheart
Valued Member

Re: What is going on? Unauthorized. UPDATE

Did an investigation with the credit bureaus and the results today state that I do indeed own these accounts. I immediately called the the company listed on the report. The credit services company uses both Walmart and JCPenney and they were able to close the accounts and are now in the investigation process. I'm planning to report this to white collar crimes division of the police department to catch the criminals when they attempt to use the cards.

I asked the credit services dept of Walmart/JCPenney: why are they finally showing that I "do own" these cards now when I called them over a month ago and they said that they have nothing on file and cannot do anything for me because nothing was on file?

I now wonder about these credit bureaus. These accounts were opened using only my social security number. The criminals used a different birth date, phone number, and address and the results of the investigations state that after their review they found that I do indeed own these account. How does their investigation work? They have my address on file, my date of birth, my social security number, phone number, and many things even my family would not know---did they based their decision only on my social security number? If so, then I'm....

Also, I told them that I have been faxing and using public computers while sending and receiving documents for my home purchase and that was when my information may have been found as they occurred around the same time. However, about 11+ years ago when I was living in the state (but different city) of the crime I did lose my social security card and experience identity theft that I was able to quickly fix.

Starting EQ score 6/13/2011: 645
Current EQ score: 675
Goal: 750
Message 37 of 38
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: What is going on? Unauthorized. UPDATE

@lesaheart wrote:

...I now wonder about these credit bureaus. These accounts were opened using only my social security number. The criminals used a different birth date, phone number, and address and the results of the investigations state that after their review they found that I do indeed own these account. How does their investigation work? They have my address on file, my date of birth, my social security number, phone number, and many things even my family would not know---did they based their decision only on my social security number? If so, then I'm....

That was their investigation. They looked at the SSN and said, Yup, it's yours.  Smiley Mad

Congrats on starting to get all this untangled. It sure won't happen without a lot of rolled-up sleeves on your part.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.