Did you mean: 

What not to do

tag
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

Re: Give your worst credit card advice

@longtimelurker wrote:

@BootStraps wrote:

More credit is ALWAYS better, so put in for EVERYTHING you come across because the worst that can happen is they say NO!

Put in lots of applications right before you apply for a mortgage. This way the lender can see that this is 'not your first rodeo.'

Why would you want only one mortgage?  More is better as you say!

Three words: Real estate investments Smiley LOLSmiley Wink

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 51 of 76
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@BootStraps wrote:

More credit is ALWAYS better, so put in for EVERYTHING you come across because the worst that can happen is they say NO!

Put in lots of applications right before you apply for a mortgage. This way the lender can see that this is 'not your first rodeo.'

you gonna pay the 2nd and 3rd mortgage?

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 52 of 76
jon22guitar
Regular Contributor

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@BootStraps wrote:

you gonna pay the 2nd and 3rd mortgage?

Your tenants pay them, that's the point Smiley Tongue

CSP 10,000, Citi Forward 3400, Barclay Arrival+ 2750, BOA Travel Rewards 2700, Discover IT 1500, Chase Freedom 1000, Crap One 500
Message 53 of 76
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: What not to do

There is just so much sound financial advice here.

I'm going to follow each of them to the exact letter and get myself so much higher in the credit ladder. 

Yay to 15 HPs and a score of 800 across the board that'll follow shortly.

Wait, there's that garden I was tending to Smiley Sad

In the meanwhile, how about getting a nice NASA card? I'm sure AMEX would look at that fantastic CL and give me 6X CLI in one go Smiley Very Happy

Message 54 of 76
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It's always best to experiment and find out what works.   Use the standard "Day of the Jackel" approach, (visit cemetaries to find infants who died young, apply for their birth certificate and then use that to get an SSN), and you are on your way!   Once you've found something that works, you can do the same thing using your own name and SSN

Message 55 of 76
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

It's always best to experiment and find out what works.   Use the standard "Day of the Jackel" approach, (visit cemetaries to find infants who died young, apply for their birth certificate and then use that to get an SSN), and you are on your way!   Once you've found something that works, you can do the same thing using your own name and SSN

I'd love to see a character do that in "Once Upon a Time" in some weird twist to a fairy tale involving a Jackal Smiley LOL

(Sorry if it was an arbit reference)

Message 56 of 76
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@flawesome wrote:

Once you are aproved for one premium card, apply for every other premium card you have ever been interested in, rapid fire. That is exactly what I did Smiley Tongue. So many unessisary HPs and rejections.

Well, I have some good news for you, flawesome....I did the same "less than intelligent" thing last year. 

When BofA approved me, I went a little app crazy.  Ape crazy?  App Ape crazy?

I, too, got lots of unnecessary HP's and rejections.

Oh well.  Live and learn.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 57 of 76
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

@jon22guitar wrote:

To help the newcomers, let's give them our "worst" credit card advice.

"Apping is like playing the lottery- don't stop until you've hit the jackpot."

Get an Amex Blue Sky.

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 58 of 76
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@navajomyst2003 wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

Get an Amex Blue Sky.

The Amex Blue is an even "better" choice, non-transferable MREs, no bonus categories, and the same price (0) as the Everyday which has bonus category and points transfer.

Message 59 of 76
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@navajomyst2003 wrote:

@jon22guitar wrote:

Get an Amex Blue Sky.

The Amex Blue is an even "better" choice, non-transferable MREs, no bonus categories, and the same price (0) as the Everyday which has bonus category and points transfer.

I can't believe I missed that one!  In all fairness, Blue Sky may possibly be a good choice for some but it was a poor choice for me.  Almost at 13 months on that card and will then just consolidate the CL over to Hilton, which I do use a lot. Closure of Blue Sky to follow.

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 60 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.