Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to apply for next? PLEASE HELP.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to apply for next? PLEASE HELP.

Hey ladies and gentlemen!

So I've had a Bank of America Cash Rewards card with a $750 limit for about 5 months now. My utilization is at a 7%. I have not missed any payments or have any negative remarks on my credit report. I have two inquiries on my Experian (June 2014) and one from Transunion (Nov 2013). I am a college student who has an annual income of $17,000. I'd like to have another credit account to build my thin file and have some active accounts instead of my only one. 

I'm really considering getting the Discover it card. The reviews and satisfaction I've read with Discover makes me want to get with them-- Not to mention the awesome rewards! 

Do you think if I applied for the Discover It card right now I'd get approved? What about AMEX? I feel like I don't meet the strict requirements for AMEX, however. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: What to apply for next? PLEASE HELP.

Amex is not that strict TBH lol. 

Have you checked the pre qual sites yet? 

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your scores and average age of accounts (any other loans, such as college)? The Discover It Student card could be a great choice for you. Amex isn't all that strict in my experience, they just have certain things they look for just like any other creditor. For example, I have 2 Amex but can't get a Chase card to save my life. I still stick with the Discover Student card though! 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to my FAKO's on Credit Karma ,my "average age of open credit lines" is 0.43 yr. My score is 729. 

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran my info through Discovers Pre-qual site and it recommend the original Discover It (the one that I want). HOWEVER, I'd prefer not to listen to it because many people on here have said they've put in false info and still got recommendations. AMEX said they had no offers me for me. 

Message 5 of 18
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I ran my info through Discovers Pre-qual site and it recommend the original Discover It (the one that I want). HOWEVER, I'd prefer not to listen to it because many people on here have said they've put in false info and still got recommendations. AMEX said they had no offers me for me. 

The discover pre qual is only valid if it shows you a set APR.

However, if they state that your APR will be 10.99%-22.99%, then it's just a generic offer. 

Message 6 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Your Bank of America is your first card and just 5 months old and no other credit?

I would wait until 6 months on your BofA and apply for both Discover and Amex (dont' let the outcome of one deter you from the plan of applying for the other!)

I bet you get approved by both but probably much happier with limit from amex!

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I got the generic offer. :/

Message 8 of 18
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I got the generic offer. :/

Yeah, sorry to hear that!

Try all other pre qual sites. 

Message 9 of 18
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Try Chase pre qualify their offers are rock solid.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.