Did you mean: 

Which lenders let you move limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which lenders let you move limits?

@FinStar wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
Citi will let you do it but you have to leave some of the limit on there, so if you want to close it you have to forfeit at least $1000 of your credit line. And it may or may not be a HP. I did it twice in one month and it was pulled once

Not always and YEMV.  When I reallocated some CLs between cards and closed an obsolote product, the entire CL was moved (nothin residual) and no HP.  It depends on who you talk to and what they are willing to do.  Additionally, it depends on when they update those policies since for Citi they tend to fluctuate frequently.

So in theory I could close out my AA card and move its $25K CL to my Prestige for a total CL of $55,500?  If so, that's very tempting

Message 11 of 17
baller4life
Super Contributor

Whoa Irish! You're gonna be a big baller shot caller. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Heh 😎

Message 13 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
Citi will let you do it but you have to leave some of the limit on there, so if you want to close it you have to forfeit at least $1000 of your credit line. And it may or may not be a HP. I did it twice in one month and it was pulled once

Not always and YEMV.  When I reallocated some CLs between cards and closed an obsolote product, the entire CL was moved (nothin residual) and no HP.  It depends on who you talk to and what they are willing to do.  Additionally, it depends on when they update those policies since for Citi they tend to fluctuate frequently.

So in theory I could close out my AA card and move its $25K CL to my Prestige for a total CL of $55,500?  If so, that's very tempting

Yes Irish, this is correct.  What I'm thinking worked in my favor is the length of history that I have with Citi for which they could see in their system (hence no HP, they did SP however) and did not have to leave anything lingering like $1K.  They moved the entire CL.  I used to have 5 CCs with them, now just 4.

Now, I'm sure you've seen threads where it seems there are some challenges with having to leave a residual CL and/or take the HP for reallocations, so it does happen.  However, they typically update PC and other credit policies every 3 months (give or take) which includes new/revised products.  The most recent policy changes occured this past Sunday.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Yes Irish, this is correct.  What I'm thinking worked in my favor is the length of history that I have with Citi for which they could see in their system (hence no HP, they did SP however) and did not have to leave anything lingering like $1K.  They moved the entire CL.  I used to have 5 CCs with them, now just 4.

Now, I'm sure you've seen threads where it seems there are some challenges with having to leave a residual CL and/or take the HP for reallocations, so it does happen.  However, they typically update PC and other credit policies every 3 months (give or take) which includes new/revised products.  The most recent policy changes occured this past Sunday.

Thanks.  I haven't been with them that long  so I might have to take a HP but for a limit like that, might be worth it.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that I was able to move most of my Barclay Ring limit to the Barclay CashBack card a week ago.

Message 16 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@baller4life wrote:

Yup, I totally agree! 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.