cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yay! I finally get to change my signature!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay! I finally get to change my signature!!

Got my first CC after 10 years in April 2014 (CapOne Secured) in August 2014 I got my first unsecured CC from Credit One (I didn't know that was a really bad thing at the time) I just didn't have a CC for so long and was happy to finally be approved for one. In September 2014 I joined this wonderful forum and started really working on my baddies and rebuilding.

Fast Forward today and I have 12.5K NFCU card, 5K Venture, 3K Amazon and 3.5K Walmart (plus a few others) plus a $500 credit one. I called last month to cancel after paying off a balance but credit one was stubborn and offered me 18% for 6 months and I was scared of additional interest being added since they have no grace period and didn't want that to reopen the account.

I waited till my statement cut on 3/27 and I was charged a $1.00 for interest. I paid that off asap, waited for it to post, then yesterday called and very firmly told them to close my account and asking for a letter stating it was closed with a 0 balance. They closed it this time without putting up a fight.

I know I already paid the yearly fee in August but I couldn't wait to get rid of it I am almost free of credit one and couldn't be happier. I'm ready to delete that bad boy from my signature.

I do have 2 questions.
When I closed it the guy said something like 21 days to process the closure. I then said I don't understand is it close or not and he said yes mam it's closed. I then asked how long the letter would take stating its been closed and he said 21 days. Does anyone have any experience closing credit one and if so how long did it take. I can't wait to cut up my card but want to make sure the account shows as closed before I do.

In April 2014 I opened a secured CapOne with a $200 deposit. My yearly fee will be taken out on 4/11. Since I wanted to close Credit One first I thought I would do that now and close Capital One next year in April since it's my oldest open account but now I'm not sure if I should close it or not with the other accounts I have. If I close both Cap one and credit one my oldest open account would be from September 2014. Should I close that one as well before 4/11

TIA
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Yay! I finally get to change my signature!!

Criminal One seems to drag their feet on cancellations. Keep on them.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Yay! I finally get to change my signature!!

If you feel like you've outgrown the CapOne card, then by all means close it. It will still show up in your AAoA for 10 years, by which time everything else will have aged as well. Don't sweat closing bad cards if they don't serve a purpose for you any more. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.