Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best cash back cards combination for general spending

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: best cash back cards combination for general spending

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, if you are allowed just one card, and your annual spend on everything is above say $15K, I would choose the BC.  5% off gas, groceries and drug stores, and for everything else buy V/MC gift cards and use these at other stores to get 4% back.

Or buy other equivalents to power paypal for 1-1.5% additional cashback.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 11 of 64
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Weights wrote:

What do you guys think?  

A general list still isn't very useful.  You still have major spend categories and should focus on those versus just getting an assortment of cards to try to cover every possible category.  if you want to take the latter approach then go for one of the 2% or 1.5% cards to cover such spend.

Message 12 of 64
kawaiiguy
Established Member

I have done the spreadsheets.  I have done a lot of research on this.  I am not familiar with ALL cards out there, I just checked out the ones that I CAN get, and the ones that most people CAN get.  Here is what I have in my wallet now, & what they earn.  I DO NOT do rotating category cards (I am in school full time and work full time and I can't keep up with that crap, but you could maximize returns even more by adding those types of cards).  If you want any information about how I came up with my decision please feel free to post or mesage me...

B of A 1-2-3 rewards  (use ONLY for 3% gas, & to the best of my knowledge this is also one of the only cards that will give you the full 3% at gas at places like Kroger, Walmart, etc.)  even being a B of A customer and getting the bonus will not ofset the gain from other cards when trying to use the 2% & 1% categories of this card.

Amex Blue Cash Everyday (use ONLY for 3% groceries, does not include clubs or super centers)

Chase Sapphire (use ONLY for 2% dining out, includes fast food, delis, about anything that just sells prepared food)

Cap One or NFCU Cash Rewards (use for all other unlimited 1.5% purchases that are not gas, groceries, or dining out)

If you have an area of spending that you regularly spend at higher levels like travel or other things, then this list is not for you.  This list will get most of mid-america's daily spending taken care of and get us a good bit of cash back in our pockets.  I like to forget about the rewards since none of these cards have expirations of the reards and just let it sit there and build.

Comments...  Questions... please let me know,  esp. if there is something out there I am missing out on!

Message 13 of 64
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@kawaiiguy wrote:

I have done the spreadsheets.  I have done a lot of research on this.  I am not familiar with ALL cards out there, I just checked out the ones that I CAN get, and the ones that most people CAN get.  Here is what I have in my wallet now, & what they earn.  I DO NOT do rotating category cards (I am in school full time and work full time and I can't keep up with that crap, but you could maximize returns even more by adding those types of cards).  If you want any information about how I came up with my decision please feel free to post or mesage me...

B of A 1-2-3 rewards  (use ONLY for 3% gas, & to the best of my knowledge this is also one of the only cards that will give you the full 3% at gas at places like Kroger, Walmart, etc.)  even being a B of A customer and getting the bonus will not ofset the gain from other cards when trying to use the 2% & 1% categories of this card. - Sallie Mae

Amex Blue Cash Everyday (use ONLY for 3% groceries, does not include clubs or super centers) - Sallie Mae

Chase Sapphire (use ONLY for 2% dining out, includes fast food, delis, about anything that just sells prepared food) - Cash Plus

Cap One or NFCU Cash Rewards (use for all other unlimited 1.5% purchases that are not gas, groceries, or dining out) - Fid AMEX

If you have an area of spending that you regularly spend at higher levels like travel or other things, then this list is not for you.  This list will get most of mid-america's daily spending taken care of and get us a good bit of cash back in our pockets.  I like to forget about the rewards since none of these cards have expirations of the reards and just let it sit there and build.

Comments...  Questions... please let me know,  esp. if there is something out there I am missing out on!

Assuming this is only for cash back cards

Message 14 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@kawaiiguy wrote:

B of A 1-2-3 rewards  (use ONLY for 3% gas, & to the best of my knowledge this is also one of the only cards that will give you the full 3% at gas at places like Kroger, Walmart, etc.)  even being a B of A customer and getting the bonus will not ofset the gain from other cards when trying to use the 2% & 1% categories of this card. - Sallie Mae

Amex Blue Cash Everyday (use ONLY for 3% groceries, does not include clubs or super centers) - Sallie Mae

Chase Sapphire (use ONLY for 2% dining out, includes fast food, delis, about anything that just sells prepared food) - Cash Plus

Cap One or NFCU Cash Rewards (use for all other unlimited 1.5% purchases that are not gas, groceries, or dining out) - Fid AMEX

I would add back Cap One for those places that don't take Amex, but otherwise yes!

Message 15 of 64
RBFool
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@kawaiiguy wrote:

I would add back Cap One for those places that don't take Amex, but otherwise yes!

For the fid AMEX, they have a Visa or MC one, don't they? I planned on getting one of those as most places around me don't do AMEX.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 16 of 64
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@RBFool wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@kawaiiguy wrote:

For the fid AMEX, they have a Visa or MC one, don't they? I planned on getting one of those as most places around me don't do AMEX.

Fid Visa is only 1.5%

Message 17 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Fid Visa is 1.5% up to I think $15K, then 2%

So if you have a lot of non-category spend at places that don't take Amex, this is a good choice  (Probably has a FTF though)

Message 18 of 64
kawaiiguy
Established Member

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@kawaiiguy wrote:

Excellent point with the Sallie Mae.  I know that is popular but just consider:

Monthly spend on gas 260, groceries 400.  that is a really low figure too if you ask me, but im cheap  LoL

@Anyway:  Sallie mae...  total $16.60 rebate (first 250 @ %5 = 12.50, remaining 110 @ 1% = 4.10)

123 rewards gas total rebate $7.80 + Blue Cash grovery total $12 = 19.80 total

Plus if you spend any more than I do on gas or groc you are losing out using Sallie Mae even more.

To the Ficeltiy card:  yes that 2% is better on all options, but for the sake of simplicity i didnt consider it.  i mean do i want to set u retirement account etc just to get another 0.5%.  For some it may be worth it but for every TEN THOUSAND dollars you spend thats only an extra 50 bucks.  i know it all counts but i dont want more bank accounts than I need.

Again in the Cash+ too many categories and options, I like simplicity, but that one may be a good substitute for some people willing to do the extra work for some extra $$$.

Great points tho!

Message 19 of 64
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@kawaiiguy wrote:

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@kawaiiguy wrote:

Excellent point with the Sallie Mae.  I know that is popular but just consider:

Monthly spend on gas 260, groceries 400.  that is a really low figure too if you ask me, but im cheap  LoL

@Anyway:  Sallie mae...  total $16.60 rebate (first 250 @ %5 = 12.50, remaining 110 @ 1% = 4.10)

123 rewards gas total rebate $7.80 + Blue Cash grovery total $12 = 19.80 total

Plus if you spend any more than I do on gas or groc you are losing out using Sallie Mae even more.

To the Ficeltiy card:  yes that 2% is better on all options, but for the sake of simplicity i didnt consider it.  i mean do i want to set u retirement account etc just to get another 0.5%.  For some it may be worth it but for every TEN THOUSAND dollars you spend thats only an extra 50 bucks.  i know it all counts but i dont want more bank accounts than I need.

Again in the Cash+ too many categories and options, I like simplicity, but that one may be a good substitute for some people willing to do the extra work for some extra $$$.

Great points tho!

You can get two sallie mae cards if your groceries are around 400 an month, i think an lot of people have been succesful doing that. Fid card you open an Cash Management Account (CMA), which is free checking account with no HP or anything, and trasnfer to that account. Once you get money in your cma , you can trasnfer to any account you want. Cash + was suggested solely for restaruants i think . 5% on fast food and regular sit down restaruarants. Those three cards will satsisfy almost all spending you do. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.