cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should i get a hotel credit card down the road?

tag
wilmer007
Contributor

should i get a hotel credit card down the road?

i have over 120k UR points on my CSR and looking to do some travel in the future (don't know when) so naturally hotel credit cards come to mind. only problem is none of them give UR points (that i know of).

most of my spending is in gas, tolls and food and only plan on staying at hotels when traveling. only problem is i don't plan on staying at expensive hotels unless they give free or discounted nights so most of my hotel stays will in the 2-3 star qualitys that hover around the $70 price range.

note: i am over the 5/24 rule and chase online shows me an offer for the CSP (which i plan to get in a few days when CK updates my lowered UL) for the 50k UR and then PC to the CF asap since the CF is a must have card for me.

so based on this should i get a hotel credit card and if so which one would fit me best?

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: should i get a hotel credit card down the road?

I dont have a chase card but have been researching them foe a bit. I was under the impression that ur points could be traded 1 to 1 with Hyatt, Marriott, ihg, and one or two other partners. I'm not sure of the value of each partners point system but a 1 to 1 transfer seems like you would be better off with the CSR outside of an initial bonus
Message 2 of 16
happypill
Valued Contributor

I think the reason to get a hotel card is for the sign-on bonus, the upgraded status that some cards give, the annual free night that some cards give, and the perks associated with some cards (early check in, late check out, upgrades, free water, cookies, etc.).  In terms of actually earning points, I think most hotel cards are not the best, although the SPG has been known to be very good.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. Just picking a card, spend $1k on the ihg card for the 60k points which is probably worth $4-500, but then only use that card while you're staying at ihg properties and continue to complete the bulk of spending through cards with UR points after the ihg bonus. Then use the ihg card just enough to keep it active for the free anniversary night.
Message 4 of 16
wilmer007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
That makes sense. Just picking a card, spend $1k on the ihg card for the 60k points which is probably worth $4-500, but then only use that card while you're staying at ihg properties and continue to complete the bulk of spending through cards with UR points after the ihg bonus. Then use the ihg card just enough to keep it active for the free anniversary night.

yes i was just looking at the IHG before you even mentioned it and the free hotel stay, platinum elite status and the 15 points per dollar spent at IHG hotels all for a low $49 AF is not only a good card for me but it's also a good compliment card with the CSR as the CSR handles everything outside of the hotel stays while the IHG card only gets used for hotel stays.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 5 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@wilmer007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

yes i was just looking at the IHG before you even mentioned it and the free hotel stay, platinum elite status and the 15 points per dollar spent at IHG hotels all for a low $49 AF is not only a good card for me but it's also a good compliment card with the CSR as the CSR handles everything outside of the hotel stays while the IHG card only gets used for hotel stays.

That will depend on personal cpp values, but I know I would take 3 URs over 5 IHG points.

Love the free night, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 16
wilmer007
Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@wilmer007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That will depend on personal cpp values, but I know I would take 3 URs over 5 IHG points.

Love the free night, though.

i read somewhere that it was 15 points per dollar spent but that must have been an old offer or a typo.

but yes a free night stay (worth $50-$750+) and free platinum elite status (especially for those potential upgrades) without spending a penny is enough of a value just to get the card.

i think the 3 UR vs 5 IHG will depend on each person own preference but the IHG points can be used on airlines and giftcards aswell as other things.

for instance:

IHG:

+ is looking for inexpensive hotel stays across 5,000+ hotels (such as budget mindly folks or a family on a budget)

+ IHG points accumulated can be used on future IHG stays, on giftcards or on airline partners.

UR:

+ more flexiblity

+ points never expire (they do on IHG if no activity in 12 months).

i honestly don't think IHG point program is bad if you plan on staying at an IHG hotel for more than the free night as the extra 2 points per dollar means cheaper hotel stays and even more free stays (maybe combined with the free annual night for 100% free stays). but yes being able to take your points to a non IHG hotel is nice too. 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wilmer007 wrote:

i have over 120k UR points on my CSR and looking to do some travel in the future (don't know when) so naturally hotel credit cards come to mind. only problem is none of them give UR points (that i know of).

most of my spending is in gas, tolls and food and only plan on staying at hotels when traveling. only problem is i don't plan on staying at expensive hotels unless they give free or discounted nights so most of my hotel stays will in the 2-3 star qualitys that hover around the $70 price range.

note: i am over the 5/24 rule and chase online shows me an offer for the CSP (which i plan to get in a few days when CK updates my lowered UL) for the 50k UR and then PC to the CF asap since the CF is a must have card for me.

so based on this should i get a hotel credit card and if so which one would fit me best?

Check out the Hotels.com loyalty program. It's great, especially if you mainly stay at 2-3 star hotels. Us the CSR to book for through hotels.com and you recieve a free night through hotels.com for the average price of your bookings. It's essentially a 10% return, plus the return on the UR points. You must sign up for their loyalty program however. 

Message 8 of 16
wilmer007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wilmer007 wrote:

Check out the Hotels.com loyalty program. It's great, especially if you mainly stay at 2-3 star hotels. Us the CSR to book for through hotels.com and you recieve a free night through hotels.com for the average price of your bookings. It's essentially a 10% return, plus the return on the UR points. You must sign up for their loyalty program however. 

ok so with this then the IHG is only good for a free night at a discounted rate basically and potential free room upgrade aswell.

so hotels.com counts as travel for the CSR well that does make things a little better for the CSR in this situation as your not paying extra money to get a free night (especially if you haven't capped out your $300 travel credit). however that free night and upgrade with the IHG for $49 is still good and can't be overlooked.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok so with this then the IHG is only good for a free night at a discounted rate basically and potential free room upgrade aswell.

so hotels.com counts as travel for the CSR well that does make things a little better for the CSR in this situation as your not paying extra money to get a free night (especially if you haven't capped out your $300 travel credit). however that free night and upgrade with the IHG for $49 is still good and can't be overlooked.

Agreed, IHG is a good program, esepcially if you're loyal to the brand. Hotels.com (at least in my experience) typically offers the lowest prices and allows greater flexibility should you decide to deviate from a particular brand. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.