Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agency took money from my bank account after a judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agency took money from my bank account after a judgement

Hello, One of my collection agency sued me and had a judgment from the court and it was around $4000. CA took $1500 from my bank account (which was the amount I had during that time) right away without any notice. I still owe them around $2500. I didn't place any money in the account after that. It has been about a year, they haven't collect anymore money. Is that because they didn't see any money in there or they can only allow to collect once? Thanks NeedHelp Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Agency took money from my bank account after a judgement

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, One of my collection agency sued me and had a judgment from the court and it was around $4000. CA took $1500 from my bank account (which was the amount I had during that time) right away without any notice. I still owe them around $2500. I didn't place any money in the account after that. It has been about a year, they haven't collect anymore money. Is that because they didn't see any money in there or they can only allow to collect once? Thanks NeedHelp Smiley Sad

Did you give them permission to enter your account? How did they get your account number? If you didn't give permission, I would contact my state's AG and the FTC to file a formal complaint against them.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Rules on this vary from state to state. I know here in VA, even if you lose a case, the plaintiff can't just remove money out of your acct. They have to file additional papers and go through a process with the bank (i.e. notices, etc). You might want to check with your bank and see why this happened. And as ByrdMan mentioned, figure out how they got your acct info.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

llecs wrote:
Rules on this vary from state to state. I know here in VA, even if you lose a case, the plaintiff can't just remove money out of your acct. They have to file additional papers and go through a process with the bank (i.e. notices, etc). You might want to check with your bank and see why this happened. And as ByrdMan mentioned, figure out how they got your acct info.

Correct.  This is a process known as "garnishment." 
Message 4 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

That's the word I was looking for... I got distracted.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your state laws on garnishment. They are all different.

It is easy to get bank info. they are all in a data base. But I think they need to file papers with the bank & IMO the bank should notify you of this first.

Also check your CR   For the amount of the judgment. See if they show the money that they took out.
Message 6 of 13
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Read this, they may have violated some laws. Find out your state's collection practices.  http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for all your quick feedback. I live in California and they allow to take the money after a judgement. I called my bank and they said I have a levy. I Google around the web with my questions, I think they are able to garnish multiple times until it's paid. FYI http://wagegarnishmentlesson.com/. Thanks, NeedHelp
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please check with a lawyer.  The website you posted is about wage garnishment, which is when they take money out of your paycheck.  There might be different laws about levying assets.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the court where the judgment was filed in my county. They said before CA can wage garnish, take money from bank, etc., they HAVE TO file a writ to garnish giving authority. The judgment, alone, is not authority. Does this sound correct to all of you?
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.